Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

VHS dead?

Big D

Crippler Crossfaced to death
As many people go for the DVD/UMD/Blu-ray trend, we can all see VHS dieing down. Truthfully though I think it will thrive for a few years yet, not to long since I myself have completely stopped renting VHS. To me VHS is just a hassle, yet I will watch a good movie either way.

Personally though, to me VHS is gone, I still have tapes lying around my house but it's quite rare to use any of them. I've switched to DVD and I'm sure most people have as well.

The Bill

tf2 is a good game
It's because DVDs are just...better, really. They take up less space, there's practically no glitches or anything like that, like there are on tapes. And you can select scenes with DVDs, whereas with VHS you would have to fast forward to the scene you want.
I have far more VHS than DVDs, but I haven't watched a VHS in nearly 2 years.

Diabolikal Rapture

MPAA's Nightmare
Yeah, as Chris said, there are fewer problems with DVD, than with VHS. So of course people are going to switch. I haven't watched a VHS tape in about a year, mostly because all I have is a DVD player. Our VHS broke, and we just never bought a new one. But then there is always converting VHS to DVD with a DVD burner.

Big D

Crippler Crossfaced to death
I have more VHS tapes then DVD's as well. There are a few tapes I would like to convert to DVD because of the fact of having it last for ever. (Family video of my grandmother). The only time I use a tape is either to camcord family stuff or to watch a movie that has yet to go to DVD.

Captain Morgan

hates YOU!
personally, I despise blu-ray and HD-DVD. I already spent too much on regular DVD's, and I see no reason to upgrade.

Archangel Sabre

Staff member
Grave Wisdom said:
personally, I despise blu-ray and HD-DVD. I already spent too much on regular DVD's, and I see no reason to upgrade.

It's mainly the same people that paid $999 for a DVD Player back in '97 that are looking forward to the upgrade to Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. Unless Playstation 3 becomes REALLY popular (fat chance), I can't see the general public jumping on the bandwagon until 2010 at the earliest.

Anyway, VHS died for me the minute I got my DVD Recorder. Almost my entire collection is packed into little tiny discs now, that take up far less space than my VHS collection ever did. I had a crapload of anime (at least 50 hours worth) scattered over about 20 different VHS tapes, and most were unlabled. Now that my entire collection is on DVD, I can easily just pop the DVD in, click the episode I want, and I'm there. The only problem I have is that many DVD's for general recording have a short lifespan, often lasting only two years and rarely exceeding five. By contrast, VHS tapes usually last more than ten years, and some high quality ones last well over fifty.

The many advantages of DVD still exceed the few offered by VHS, however.