Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The decline of the Mario Party series (a.k.a. Mario Party-Poopers)

Venom

I dunno if it's just me, but it seems like since it's initial release on the N64, the Mario Party series hasn't gone anywhere except down. Here's the way I see it:

Mario Party, the original one, was great. It had a lot of unique and fun minigames that everyone could enjoy, and made an awesome party game for the N64. Mario Party 2 followed up on it, adding in some new things and changing up the minigame lineup. Same with Mario Party 3, although in my opinion, 3 was better than 2. MP4 brought the series to the Gamecube, but was a terrible debut in my opinion. None of the minigames were much fun at all. MP5 was better than 4, but not by much, and got old rather quickly. I never played MP6 or 7, because I figured they could only be worse, and the microphone to me seems more like a cheap gimmick than a fun gameplay mechanic. Mario Party 8 SEVERLY dissapointed me. I was expecting the best from Nintendo, since the Wii is THEIR console, you'd think they'd know how to utilize the motion control better than anyone else. But that wasn't the case here. The minigames require very little effort, giving light to the fact that they probably developed this game for someone who had never played a Mario Party game before...or never played a video game at all, even. I haven't played Mario Party Advance, but never heard anything good about it either. The same with Mario Party DS, but after experiencing Mario Party 8, I have doubts as to how well they used the touch screen in MPDS.

What do you guys think? Has the series gradually gone downhill, slammed into a wall, or do you think all of the games are actually really good?

Captain Morgan

hates YOU!
I was never huge into the Mario Party games, but I remember liking and playing one of them...I think it was either MP 4 or 5 on Gamecube. All I remember is that it had a homerun derby.

Venom

I was never huge into the Mario Party games, but I remember liking and playing one of them...I think it was either MP 4 or 5 on Gamecube. All I remember is that it had a homerun derby.

That was 5. At least you managed to play one of the decent Gamecube MP games and didn't have to suffer through the other ones. :)

Captain Morgan

hates YOU!
Yeah, it was the one that came out around 2004.

Funny enough, that was the only game in the whole series that I played.