Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Super Mario 3: is it the best Mario ever?

Captain Morgan

hates YOU!
Even 17 years past it's original release, Super Mario 3 stands the test of time better than almost all games of that era. With brilliant level designs, excellent graphics for it's time, catchy music,extras, and addictive gameplay.

Mario 3 took the formula used in Mario 1 and lost levels, and improved it to a very large degree. In fact, I virtually find the original Super Mario to be unplayable by comparison. What a difference 5 years can make.

Feel free to share your own opinions on this matter.

Cletus

I enjoyed Super Mario 64 the most, in my opinion, no other Mario game could ever top it, especially the new ones. The older ones are good too, don't get me wrong, but I just had a lot more fun with 64, it lasted me quite awhile unlocking everything. Then again, I haven't played the original 3 in a long time, so....I don't really remember them all that well.

Captain Morgan

hates YOU!
Honestly...I never cared all that much for Mario 64. But that mainly comes down to my general dislike of most 3D games.

Archangel Sabre

Staff member
Eh, I was never too much of a fan of Mario 3. I don't find it to be a bad game per se, I just haven't spent much time with it and wasn't particularly impressed with what I have seen of it.

I definitely prefer Mario 64; exploring the 3 dimensional landscapes alone was enough to keep me occupied for hours, and collecting all 120 stars was a challenge that took me months to complete.

Venom

SMB3 is actually my second favorite, after Super Mario World. Having spent countless hours with SMW makes it hard to choose anything over it. But SMB3 definately holds some memories for me, being one of my first games that I ever played, and still remaining one of the best games ever made. It deserves the recognition it recieves...heck, it deserves more than that. It deserves a freakin' medal or something. :p

Captain Morgan

hates YOU!
Yeah, SMW is very close to SMB3 in regards to my favorite. The main thing that helps Mario 3 edge out is more power-ups, and mini-games. If SMW had those things, it would be an easy victory.

Nights Shadow

Custom User Title
I liked 3 a WHOLE lot. Its still probly the best one for me as well. I wasnt that fond of mario 64, but it is still better than most of them. Unlike most people i actually liked Mario Sunshine. Sunshine will be the last DECENT 3d mario games to come out and by decent i mean riding the fence almost crossing the line into suck. The newest installment to the series looks like ass to me. In space? you fucking kidding me? idk i may rent it just to check out how they used the wii mote in it, but its TOO far from what mario use to be.

Marcius

THEY HACKED...INTO...MY FUCKIN' CAR!
Honestly...I never cared all that much for Mario 64. But that mainly comes down to my general dislike of most 3D games.

I SOMEwhat agree with you there, Grave. Like, I just don't enjoy playing 3-D Platformers. I much prefer them in 2-D. I had the N64 emulator and had Mario 64, but I didn't enjoy it. Mario Bros. 2 will always be my favorite, imo. Even if it was originally Doki! Doki! Panic.

Poetic Sobriquet

Cosmic Philosopher
Hrm, I would be hard pressed to say exactly which Super Mario game is my favorite, as I enjoy more than a few titles in the series. I wouldn't exactly be able to say which game I prefer overall, as it would depend on my mood at the time.

On the one hand, as far as the NES goes, I would say SMB 3 is my favorite game from that. I wouldn't say it's SO much better than SMB that is makes it unplayable, no game really makes another unplayable to me, only the way in which the original game plays does.

Then on the other hand I really, really love Super Mario World. It's one of my fondest memories from my childhood, and it s agame I've devoted hours and hours to, either alone or with a friend. With bright colors, many levels and secrets, fun level design, and the additon of Yoshi, SMW beats out SMB 3for me, which is less memorable.

Another thing I noticed is how SMW 2 seems to go unnoticed thus far, which is odd seeing as how it's a great game with near-perfect level design. A fun treat that is worthy of being a sequel to SMW 2, and another great title in a series of games that have set the standard for platformers.

Moving along to SM64. SM64 is great alone in the regard that it successfully and happily managed to bring platformers into the 3D realm, setting a standard for platformers that is still used today. Open-ended levels and with much to explore it was truly a wonder and I spent weeks playing this simple and great game. Collecting stars was never so much fun.

So which Mario is my favorite? Well, if I HAD to say, I would say SMW. But that's only a biased statement since it was a large chunk of my early childhood. But answering the real question the thread asked: No, I do not think it's the best Mario ever.

Nazo

Staff member
I would play Mario 3 all the time as a kid. It was kickass back in the day. Hell, give me an NES and the game right now, and I'll play it all day.