Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Sonic should have stayed in 2D.

Venom

Seriously, after the abomination that was Sonic The Hedgehog for PS3/360, who can disagree?

Sonic Adventure had it's moments, I'll give it that, but was mainly attractive because it was the first time Sonic had ever been in 3D. Super Mario 64 was equally attractive for the same reason, except SM64 was great, and has lasting value and appeal. Sonic Adventure, in retrospect, wasn't that much fun, and can easily be forgotten.

However, what many people will never forget, are games like Sonic 2, Sonic & Knuckles, and Sonic CD. Those are the classic Sonic titles that many gamers grew up with, and the kind of games Sonic fans long for in these troubled times for the blue hedgehog. I'll give it to Sega that they did some good with the Gameboy Advance games, and Sonic Rush is actually really fun (haven't played Rush Adventure yet), which only further proves my point. Anyone else with me here? (probably everyone will be, but it will be interesting to see some varied opinions, if anyone has any)

Captain Morgan

hates YOU!
Dude, I entirely agree with you!

Unfortunately however, I feel the same way about Zelda and especially Mario games.

Sega had an many incredible series during the 16 bit here, which they either went on to discontinue or butcher the hell out of em. Sonic was amazing in the Genesis days...

Nazo

Staff member
Agreed. Sonic in 2D was best. 3D? The controls sometimes suck, and there's not much to do as all the crazy loops and stuff are pre-done so you have no control... :(

Lanza

Agreed. Making Sonic 3D was a mistake for the gameplay.

Panic

Don't tase me, bro!
3D Sonic games are no good at all. I agree totally. I was really excited when I saw Sonic 1, 2 and 3 available for download on Wii Shop Channel. I can't wait to get them.

Darth Arkas

RC-1138
I honestly enjoyed SA and SA2 moar than any 2D Sonic game.

Personal opinion, so I can say what I want.

Lithium

<font color="hotpink">Writing On The Walls and Fir
I agree with AK, Sonic Adventure for the DC was good but the latest sonic? And sonic and the secret rings was horrible. Your right I do much prefer the 2D and I can only hope they will stop making bad 3D sonic games :'(

Marcius

THEY HACKED...INTO...MY FUCKIN' CAR!
Sonic is dead. The last great Sonic games were actually for the handheld consoles. Sonic Rush for the DS and whatever the fuck was released for the PSP. All great games. But the home consoles are a completely different story...those are just full of complete fail! What's next from Sonic Team? Sega Superstar Tennis. Oh...gee. Awesome. :rolls eyes:

Venom

Sega Superstars Tennis may not be an original idea, and definately won't be their best project, but it does do one thing right - it goes back to the old Sonic Vs. Mario debate. Now it's Sonic (and others) in Superstar Tennis vs. Mario Tennis. Although, I have no doubt that Mario Tennis would win that bout without any trouble.

Captain Morgan

hates YOU!
Mario Tennis for 64 was practically the best 64 game!

Too bad Sonic Tennis will probably have terrible gameplay, much like everything else Sega releases now.

Marcius

Mario Tennis for 64 was practically the best 64 game!

Too bad Sonic Tennis will probably have terrible gameplay, much like everything else Sega releases now.

Yeah, the company itself, Sega Team, are just fuckin' the franchise from left and right. Sonic's, like, "Why do you not give a shit about me anymore!?" And the company's, like, "YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH, BITCH AND TAKE IT SOME MORE! C'MON BOYS LET'S MILK THIS FAGGOT PIECE OF SHIT!" Ah, Sonic...you poor, devilish bastard you. We hardly knew ye. :'(

Poetic Sobriquet

Cosmic Philosopher
Yes, because F-Zero GX, and the Virtua Fighter series are just AWFUL nowadays. *Rolls eyes.* Yes, they don't make many good games nowadays. That I can agree with. But saying they release NONE? lol. The Sonic series got ruined, but not just when it went 3D. Sonic CD, which I believe to be perhaps the most overrated Sonic game, was BORING. Save for perhaps the final race with Metal Sonic.

At any rate, I wouldn't even go so far as to call 3D sonic games one-player racing games. They're stuck between wanting to be action games and wanting to be platformers and being a gross mix between the two that's a bad hybrid with an overabundance in characters and some of the most cheesy dialogue in gaming.

Marcius

Yes, because F-Zero GX, and the Virtua Fighter series are just AWFUL nowadays. *Rolls eyes.* Yes, they don't make many good games nowadays. That I can agree with. But saying they release NONE? lol. The Sonic series got ruined, but not just when it went 3D. Sonic CD, which I believe to be perhaps the most overrated Sonic game, was BORING. Save for perhaps the final race with Metal Sonic.

At any rate, I wouldn't even go so far as to call 3D sonic games one-player racing games. They're stuck between wanting to be action games and wanting to be platformers and being a gross mix between the two that's a bad hybrid with an overabundance in characters and some of the most cheesy dialogue in gaming.

Yeah, F-Zero GX and Virtua Fighter do suck ass. Shit sucks. Sonic's dead. Let's do what Sega could never do...and that is to move on from this fallen franchise...

Poetic Sobriquet

Cosmic Philosopher
I cry at your insults to F-Zero GX and Virtua fighter. Perhaps the best racing game ever and the best fighting series ever. >_>

Nazo

Staff member
All they need to do, is bring the super emerald back, upgrade the controls a bit, give more control to the player instead of having pre-rendered shit. (Like the loops.) And make a battle at the end to where Super Sonic and Super Shadow wouldn't be enough. BRING BACK HYPER!

Captain Morgan

hates YOU!
The last Virtua Fighter game I played was 2, which was awesome btw.

Also, Sega made F-Zero GX? Weird...that was always a Nintendo franchise.

Venom

The last Virtua Fighter game I played was 2, which was awesome btw.

Also, Sega made F-Zero GX? Weird...that was always a Nintendo franchise.

F-Zero GX, as I understand it, was a collaboration between Nintendo, Sega, and Amusement Vision.

GX is a great game, as well as Virtua Fighter 5. But VF alone isn't enough to keep Sega going, and I doubt the new Golden Axe game will help much either. I think it's time for them to make a new franchise instead of trying to keep up old ones.

Captain Morgan

hates YOU!
Making a new series won't turn things around for Sega.

They need to put heart and soul back into their games, like how they used to.

Currently it seems to be a race to shit on as many classic franchises as possible, with the notable exceptions of Virtua Fighter and F-Zero as was already mentioned.

Elle Lawliet

Elle Oh Elle
I was never any good at Sonic because though I have really quick reflexes, I wasn't ever quick enough to stop Sonic from losing all his coins...and that doesn't mix well with my treasure-finding OCD.

I do agree though, they need to go back to 2D...