Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Sonic-kun Current and All time Favorite Characters

PKT

Forever /a/lone
Current Favourite
Shadow the Hedgehog-It's because he's like Sonic but stronger and alot crazier. If you needed help don't ask for it while he's around. As he'd much rather shoot you than help you....sometimes anyways...

All-Time Favorite
Amy Rose The Rascal-She's constanly smilin and going about cheerfully. She fell in love with the series hero at first sight and she has unique movements that allow for a completely different style of gameplay.

Rorschach

May this series die under the weight of its constant whoring and consistently depreciating quality. The Sonic series was never, ever good in comparison to the quality 2d platformers of the time, and in comparison to 3d action games/platforming now, it's even sloppier, and more shoddily designed than we ever suspected it would become.

Take a bullet and end it, SEGA. You have far better franchises to update. And I say this with the utmost seriousness as I fondle Shinobi, Panzer Dragoon, Comix Zone, Virtua Fighter, and a REAL Phantasy Star RPG update. You don't bother with trash when you have classics that require sequels.

And if I had a character, it would be Princess Elise. Not because I liked her, but because of all of Sonic's cheesy characters, she was the one that made me laugh. I don't know what's funnier, the fact that the character was given bestiality undertones, or the fact that SEGA may have been oblivious to it.

Ah, the Japanese...

Poetic Sobriquet

Cosmic Philosopher
The Sonic series was never, ever good in comparison to the quality 2d platformers of the time.

While I agree with most of your post I am going to have to disagree with this part. Sonic the Hedgehog, especially Sonic the Hedgehog 2, was a good platformer in it's time, even in comparison to all the others. Just because it wasn't great doesn't mean it wasn't fun or good, and just because better ones existed doesn't depreciate it's quality below good.

Otherwise, any Sonic games after Sonic & Knuckles can rot. No Sonic game since, either 2D or 3D has exhibited any good qualities. Even such recent titles as Sonic Rush are really just mediocre in terms of playability and entertainment, although it was probably the best Sonic related game in recent memory, not including the collections.

And as for my favorite character? Knuckles.

Rorschach

Sonic the Hedgehog, especially Sonic the Hedgehog 2, was a good platformer in it's time, even in comparison to all the others.

No, it really wasn't. Sonic was, in fact one of the most shallow and gimmicky platformers of the time. The entirety of the depth of 2d games went no further than running right, and mashing a singular button. Unless you memorized the stage, there was no sense of timing, and unless you strained to get all of the rings, there was little variety.

Yoshi's Island, both of the Bubsy games, Super Mario World, Aladdin, Toe Jam and Earl, Dynamite Headdy, Donkey Kong Country 2, Ristar, and even Q*Bert were all embarrassingly superior to Sonic, and this is just including straight platformers, and none of the hybrids. I don't see how Sonic compared, it took a gimmicky character (LOOK AT ME, I POUT, I'M COOLER THAN MARIO!), and a superficial premise (I CAN GO FASTER!) and siphoned all of the depth they could from it, and made Sonic. Did the series have fun moments? Certainly. But that doesn't detract from the fact that in terms of creativity and level design, it was far beneath its contemporaries. It was tolerably mediocre. And it never exceeded this description.

Carlo Marx

Sunflower Sutra
Staff member
That post is pretty full of win! Sonic was fun, but it was far inferior to other side scrolling games of its time. I personaly Thought Mario was far superior, I dont even see why they are compared.

PKT

Forever /a/lone
I happen to disagree because with most platformers I beat the game and I put it down for good. However almost every Sonic game I played I liked to an extreme degree. The variety in gameplay from title to title may be slight in some games and other series have yearned to become somewhat popular using a similar formula, few were ever popular enough to keep going. A series can only last so long and it's creators all try to make the game that will make it big. Since not every game in a franchise can become a hit. It's up to consumers to exercise their opinion and people still want to play the games.

As for gameplay many things make the games worth playing besides the obvious, speed. The games are designed to be cool and exciting. The use of twists and turns are suppose to feel like a roller coaster ride or a race through an obstacle course. The springs and springboards make you feel like you've been shot out of a cannon and the death-defying falls make your heart stop. Once you have mastered all of these feats speeding through the stage is a blast.

Also get back on topic, please. This thread is about your opinions on the characters, not the games. Make a thread about it if you feel so strongly.

Rorschach

The digression is far more intriguing and substantive than the topic, which posed a question that everyone already answered. What more do you expect?

Carlo Marx

Sunflower Sutra
Staff member
Plynth, this thread did not break the rules. If you are forced to stay exactly on topic, all the threads would be lame, Its not like we started ranting about Mario games. We kept it close enough to the topic.

Also, Knuckles is by far the best character.