Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Magic Players Gathering

Nazo

Staff member
Well I figured we'd start things off with a gathering of magic players. Who here, in the forums, plays, knows of, or wants to play magic. Roger Smith and myself will help you out the best we can and teach you a few things about the game. If you have any questions on some strats for a deck or just wanna talk magic then heres the place. Get your decks ready because its time to duel!

W

William

I used to play in tournaments and so forth. Won a couple actually...

But then I quit because it started to get lame AND cost too much. I quit right after Scourge came out. Man did MTG get lame...

If I can find parts of my old decks...I'll try posting some of the decks I used.

Nazo

Staff member
Sweet i'll try and do the same. You should get back in William, they're coming out with some great cards. Im a pinger player myself (red/white) and sometimes trample.

SeanFury

I can see the venom in your eyes-
I have a bunch of cards, not many, but enough to make a deck or two. I mainly collected it for the pictures, I loved the MTG designs. I tried playing a few times, but I didn't like the rule system.

W

William

When I played...I was immensely into buyback for a while.

The main deck I played with consisted of ways to obtain mana insanely fast (Urza land set combined with buyback card drawing), never ending counterspells, never-ending bounce (I wouldn't end the game until I had all of your permanents returned to your hand lmao), enchantment/artifact/creature destruction (Nevinyrral's Disk), AND just to be safe...I had this dragon (forgot the name), where each turn I can pay a certain amount of mana to bring it from my graveyard and back to my hand, so I can play it at the beginning of each of my upkeeps (dies after i use it's ability), and it deals I think...3 damage to each creature in play. Take that pingers. :D

But yeah, that deck kicked major ass.

The main deck I played with in tournaments wasn't as good (It had to be Type 2, which at the time was Odyssey block), but it was still decent.

It was basically a blue/black Braids-Tog deck. Braids, Psychatog, Nantuko Shades, Chainer's Edicts, Shadowmage Infiltrators, Ichorids, etc.

Captain Morgan

hates YOU!
Been playing Magic off and on since the early 90's. The last time I quit was right before 6th edition was released I think.

I've recently been getting back into things though...as Roger is already aware of. In the past few months, i've bought both a Coldsnap, and Timespiral phat pack, and numerous individual booster packs and misc other stuff. My favorite Magic series ever was probably Ice Age back in 4th edition.

Nazo

Staff member
Heh, me doesnt think that would work on me William:-* i have an enchantment that says "creatures you control cannot be the target of spells or abilities."(including mana abilities) :). i have 3 so i got lots of chances if my enchantment is destroyed. i also use equipments alot, mostly ones that have unblockable or cant be the target of spells or abilities. My pinger deck i edited earlier today its now what you call Burn'm and Ping'm. It's a red and white deck that has 23 lands(10 mountains: red, 10 plains: white, and 3 Boris garision: a land that produces a red and white land when taped) 20 creatures which have the abilities to ping and prevent damage or even counter spells. then 22 sorcery/instant/enchanment cards. which are 1-3 cast cost and deal damage to target creature or player OR buff my creatures up. (who do you think i deal the damage to? :) my best sorcery is my Fireball cast cost is X and a mountain. the X stands for how many land i want to tap after the first one i deal that much damage to as many targets as i choose but i have to divide it by how many creatures/ players i want to hit and tap an extra mana for each target. but usually its going straight to the player. my best pinger is Spikeshot Goblin ( i have 2). its ability is tap a mountain and tap him. Spikeshot goblin deals damage equal to its power to target creature or player. So if i were to buff him up to a 20 power then i could tap a mountain and him and deal 20 damage directly at the player ending the game. and btw he won't beable to prevent it because i also have creatures that have the ability to counter target spell or ability if sacrificed. :) I've yet to try this out yet but i think it should work. my old pinger deck was nice but it was defeated by Roger smith....3 times but not in a row. (i forgot the deck he used) but now its been edited and its prolly the best deck i've ever made, and i look foward to getting revenge on you Roger. I'm curently making a green and white deck that will topple my brothers Sliver deck.but i need the card Wrath of God which destroys all creatures artifacts and enchantments on the field.

W

William

i have an enchantment that says "creatures you control cannot be the target of spells or abilities."(including mana abilities)

Read that carefully. Creatures YOU control cannot be the TARGET. :-*

If I were to use Nevinyrral's Disk or the dragon, the ability is not targeting your creatures. It's targetting all creatures (or in the case of the disk - creatures, enchantments, and artifacts) in play. The enchantment you have wouldn't work as I am not targeting your creatures directly.

Just like you mentioned "Wrath of God". It works the same way, hence why it's in demand so much.

Nazo

Staff member
hmm i may not know all the rules then I understand that if you have that card and used it saying destroy all artifacts creatures and enchantments of course they'll all die. for one you destroy my enchantment first then my creaturews and everything else go but see thats a sorcery/instant card if i were to sac one of my creatures that have the ability to counter taget spell then i will counter and you spell would be a waste un less the spell is unpreventable, but either way I'd still take you on William. You seem like a tough opponent

W

William

Well, for the dragon...IF you counter it, it goes into my graveyard regardless, at which point I can pay the mana cost during my upkeep to continously bring it to my hand to play. I mean, you can counter it once or twice maybe, but you can't continously counter it if I'm playing a control deck full of non-stop counterspells (hence buyback).

If it's the Nevinyrral's Disk, you COULD counter it, if I had no counterspell at my disposal or I wish to not counter your counterspell, but once it's in play...there's pretty much no way to counter it's ability UNLESS you destroy the enchantment before my next upkeep (if you counter it after I am able to untap it...then I can use the ability in response to your counterspell, which makes your counterspell useless) OR you return it to my hand before my next upkeep.

It's pretty full proof the way it's setup. I mean, yeah, every deck does have a weakness. But it's a damn good deck. :p

-----

Anyhow, I found part of the deck...although I know I'm missing a lot...

(And just in case no one knows what buyback is... Buyback allows you to pay the buyback cost to return the card to your hand instead of putting it into your graveyard.)

Memory Crystal - Artifact - 3 colorless mana - All buyback costs are reduces by 2 colorless mana.

Whispers of the Muse - Instant - 1 island - Draw a card (Buyback = 5 colorless mana)

Ophidian - Creature - 2 colorless/1 island - 1/3 - You can pay 0 mana to Draw a card. If you choose to do so, Ophidian deals no damage this turn. Use this ability only if Ophidian is attacking and unblocked and only once each turn.

Shard Phoenix - Creature - 4 colorless/1 mountain - 2/2 Flying - 3 mountains: Put shard phoenix into your hand. Use this ability only if shard phoenix is in your graveyard and only during your upkeep. - Sacrifice Shard Phoenix: Shard Phoenix deals 2 damage to each creature without flying.

Counterspell (Everyone should know what this does...)

Thieving Magpie - Creature - 2 colorless/2 islands - 1/3 Flying - Whenever Thieving Magpie deals damage to an opponent, you draw a card.

Control Magic - Enchant Creature - 2 colorless/2 islands - Gain control of target creature. :D

Forbid - Instant - 1 colorless/2 islands - Counter target spell. (Buyback: Choose and discard two cards.)

Capsize - Instant - 1 colorless/2 islands - Return target permanent to owner's hand. (Buyback: 3 colorless) <--- My favorite. With Memory crystal, I can do this repeatedly...with 0-1 buyback cost.

Arcade Denial - Instant - 1 colorless/1 island - Counter target spell. That spell's caster may draw up to two cards at the beginning of the next turn's upkeep. Draw a card at the beginning of the next turn's upkeep.

Time Warp - Sorcery - 3 colorless/2 islands - Target player takes an extra turn after this one. <--- The death dealer after I've returned all of the "threats" back to my opponent's hand.

Propaganda - Enchantment - 2 colorless/1 island - Each turn each creature, cannot attack you unless it's controller pays an additional 2 colorless mana for that creature. <--- Good mana drainer, although it helps if I've capsized a few of their lands first.

Hammer of Bogardan - Sorcery - 1 colorless/2 mountains - Hammer of Bogardan deals 3 damage to each creature or player. (2 colorless/3 mountains: Return Hammer of Bogardan to your hand. Play this ability only during your upkeep and only if HoB is in your graveyard.)

Circular Logic - Instant - 2 colorless/1 island - Counter target spell unless it's controller pays 1 colorless for each card in your graveyard. (Madness: 1 island)

Divert - Instant - 1 island - Change the target of target spell with a single target unless that spell's controller pays 2 colorless. <--- Also good if someone plays a nasty instant/sorcery/enchantment that targets a single permanent/player. :-*

---

Pretty sure there's more. =/ But that's the gist of it, and mana is NO problem whatsoever with the Urza lands. Ideally, I counter a shitload until I get enough mana to use capsize 3-4 times per turn with the buyback cost, so I have the card next turn. I keep pumping out land and counterspells with the card drawing abilities, and I'm pretty sure I had a Wonder in my deck too, which gives all my creatures flying if it's in my graveyard (which makes Ophidians GODLY for these types of decks).

====

And sorry. I just tend to get into this a lot when the subject is something I love (or used to love). I'd actually still play (not Type 2 though, since I can't afford the cards), but I have NO ONE to play with anymore. And the tournaments stopped around here (they're Type 2 anyhow).

Nazo

Staff member
Hmm, yeah your weakness would be mana and your deck. So to counter that deck of yours an opponent would have to use a grind deck like my friend Dugluss. If you dont beat him by your second or third turn consider yourself defeated he'll use his grinder deck to grin 10-15 cards off the top of you deck AND send you mana back to your hand prolly causing you to discard for having over 7 cards in hand its the sickest deck i've ever seen and has never been defeated. he's been in tournaments all over the US. and when he uses his grind deck its over but usually he doesnt which is stupid because if he did he'd be one rich mother f0cker. he uses a ping n burn similar to mine but waaay better. as for his grind deck he said like William said it has its weakness i mean any deck and i mean ANY can be beaten. no matter how good you are or how many tournaments you've been in you CAN and prolly WILL be defeated sooner or later. now back to the contruction of my green and white deck, hopefully with enough work i can counter that damn sliver deck of my brothers...

W

William

Well, actually...I don't think my weakness is mana or grind. That's why I have counterspells.

Honestly, the main thing that has given me problems was a haste/discard/pinger deck. I mean, unless I were to cheat and have more than 4 cards of a kind in my deck, I only have a 1/15 chance of drawing the pinger destroyer (unless my counterspells can get rid of them fast enough, which is a problem with a haste deck)...and on top of that, I only have 2 copies of the bird, since it's kind of rare.

----

But yeah, you ARE right. lol I remember this one time I was in a tournament right when Judgement came out and everyone else was using a creature-type themed deck. This one kid (he was only like...10 lmao)...he had an all-bird deck...and unfortunately for me...I forgot to put anything in my deck or sideboard that counters flying...so he pretty much...fucked me up really bad. Kind of embarrassing lol

====

I remember this one deck I had though that was pretty good...Burning Bridges. Ensnaring Bridges/Burn spells. I loved that deck. :(

====

Oh, actually...I remember the first deck I ever built back when I was a n00b. lmao A black/white deck filled with gigantic creatures with HUGE casting costs.

Oh, and...a good card = Pariah. That card saved my ass so many times...

====

And slivers are tough but overrated. Slivers = nothing compared to a couple million 500/500 beasts. lmao Don't ask how. I forgot. But it owned. I do know Mirari was involved somehow though.

Nazo

Staff member
i was the same when i started i went for powerbut since strong creatures have high mana cost i got screwed over :'( but then i learned my lesson and started reading up on abilities and spells and finally made a successful deck.

Roger Smith

Hail humans take heed. This is the carrier, Shadow
Heh, I beat Kyuubi's pinger deck with my modded TimeSpiral deck. ^_^

Nights Shadow

Custom User Title
Well after Yu-gi-oh blew over with my friends recently and all the new lame ass rules came out we stopped playing. So i tried to get them into MTG so i bought a deck at Wal-mart (which only had the Expert level decks so that sucked) but then my friends didnt want to start playing it so here i am stuck with a deck i tried to take back, but couldnt. The reason im posting this is because i just found my MTG deck again its Champions of Kamigawa (Kami Reborn). My question is, is this game hard to learn? Even if it wasnt i dont know ANYONE around here who plays :(. The cards look so much more badass then yu-gay-ho *yu-gi-oh*.

Nazo

Staff member
not really hard to learn just a little bit complicated. It's easy to find players just go to a card shop and start talking to people or a mall. thats how i find others to play or like roger introduce people into the game. at first i thought it would be boring but my game i played i was beat by my brother and since then wanted to buy more and more cards to get back my wins. It's pretty addictive that it is. As for yu gi oh i have alot of cards i used to have exodius and the three god cards but i sold them and bought more magic :p Oh and one more thing. they dont make started deck and advanced decks in MTG this game is more of a strategy game than yu gi oh. Oh and if you need help learning some stuff about the game ask here i know it all just about. play it love it own it.

btw Roger Smith if it wasnt for you and my brother gang banging me i wouldn't have lost like that. not saying im would have won just saying i may have made even more damage to you guys than i did.
But if you're referring to when you beat me at ur house then yeah he pwned me. :(

Roger Smith

Well, I'll challenge you again using the same decks and we'll see.

Nights Shadow

Custom User Title
Im not acting badass over this, but i was a decently good alright semi good yu-gi-oh duelist. I loved yugioh my deck was flawless man. Then they took all those cards that made my deck good and took them outta the game. I didnt wanna hafta buy more to fix my deck so i quit playing. I still have my deck and ALOT of extra holographic cards i dont use i might try to ebay those bastards.

Ghastly

Stuff.
I collected Magic the Gathering cards for a some months.

Then, several months (maybe a year) after, I played Yu-Gi-Oh at first, and I rocked everyone at it. But then it got gay with all the new cards and tricks; there just seemed to be imbalancing balances.

Then I came back to Magic the Gathering and formed a ... if I remember correctly... Fire and Light deck? I think that, Fire and Earth, or a Fire and Forest deck. But anyway, I was pretty OK at it, I couldn't really beat many people, but many people couldn't seem to beat me. I quite shortly after.

From then on I just quit card games and began to play PC games for a loooooong while, perhaps 3-4 years or so; and now I chilled on the PC gaming and just play alot of games from time to time, now that I have to beat TP though, I play nearly all day everyday, and sometimes take 30 minute breaks.

I'd come back and play MTG if it was still cool.

Roger Smith

You quit Magic cuz you couldn't beat a few ppl? Seems like dumb reason to quit to me. Get back into Magic, because in the TimeSpriral set, they re-release older cards from way back when.