Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Lent

Miso

Sheriff
Are you giving anything up for lent? I'm not. Well, I was thinking I'd be less of a jerk, but, I dunno. What else would I do if I wasn't angering everyone around me?

So, if you're planning on giving anything up, post it, and keep us updated about your progress/failure. I'm pretty close to failing already, but, I digress.

SeanFury

I can see the venom in your eyes-
I chose this year, to actually do something unlike the other years, and that would be to make my girlfriend happy. I've been pissing her off lately because we fight a lot, so I resolved to start making her happy again.

Angelwing

Sine dubio, instantatum
I gave up meat at the beginning of the year, but I have been wanting to for quite some time. I'm glad I did.

Kadenzza

I'm not religious, but I plan on being somewhat nicer to people simply as an ethical thing.

Vampiro V. Empire

ist Krieg
I gave up on the whole Lent thing when I was twelve. I don't know, going without something for forty days, just because? Doesn't seem worth it.

ProtoJMB

Gone
I am a Christian, but I don't go for the whole Fat Tuesday/Lent thing... that is a Catholic practice anyway, and I am not Catholic.

Miso

Sheriff
Proto Man said:
I am a Christian, but I don't go for the whole Fat Tuesday/Lent thing... that is a Catholic practice anyway, and I am not Catholic.
Concur'd.

I never really thought the practice made much sence. But, it doesn't mean I won't try every few years. One thing I certainly don't celebrate is Mardi Gras; I think it's horrible to be a glutton and a drunk for no real reason at all.

Vampiro V. Empire

ist Krieg
I never really thought the practice made much sence. But, it doesn't mean I won't try every few years. One thing I certainly don't celebrate is Mardi Gras; I think it's horrible to be a glutton and a drunk for no real reason at all.

How doesn't it make sense? You pray, fast, reflect, and give. Of course it's meant to represent Jesus going into the desert to be tempted by the devil, but it's just a practice meant to make you more spiritual, really. It makes quite a bit of sense.

As for Mardi Gras, eh, it just prepares you for fasting. Pig out, eat anything you want, drink whatever you want because by the next day, you won't be able to do any of that for forty days.

Lupinexus

Vampiro V. Empire said:
As for Mardi Gras, eh, it just prepares you for fasting. Pig out, eat anything you want, drink whatever you want because by the next day, you won't be able to do any of that for forty days.

People are ridiculous...

Miso

Sheriff
Well, that's my point. It's really rediculous in this culture, because of the way we are. I'd rather work on a real fault (for example: my temper) than "give something up" even if it is a non-tangible thing. What I mean is, why not change for the better instead of a 40-day abstinence?

Vampiro V. Empire

ist Krieg
Well, that's my point. It's really rediculous in this culture, because of the way we are. I'd rather work on a real fault (for example: my temper) than "give something up" even if it is a non-tangible thing. What I mean is, why not change for the better instead of a 40-day abstinence?

You could give up having a bad temper, if you wanted.

But this isn't a New Year type of thing. Instead, a religious one. You're not supposed to give it up forever because that's not the point. Let's say you smoke and give it up for lent. That's forty days with a pack a day. You take the 320 dollars you'd normally spend on cigarettes and donate to a charity. Hell, you can continue giving it up if you want, but it's not like you have to. As... I doubt anyone would participate if that were case.

Either way, I do agree, somewhat, that it is ridiculous. But all they're trying to do is encourage charity. And I have no problem with that, personally.

Archangel Sabre

Staff member
When I lived in Ireland (a primarily Catholic country), Lent was a fairly big thing. Not a huge, nationwide event, but it was something everyone knew about and something most people participated in. Now that I'm back in America, I, much like the rest of the country, really don't see lent as something that matters.

Also, from what I know, Lent is all about abstinence, it's all about simply giving up something you care about for a short time, to show God what you're willing to do for him. At least, that's what I learned in the Catholic school I went to. ::Shrugs::

Anyway, I don't intend to give up anything for Lent. I used to give up simple things like chocolate or (like the above poster) ice cream, or once television (that lasted about two days), but now it simply doesn't matter enough to me.