Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Is Ocarina of Time REALLY the best game ever?

Panic

Don't tase me, bro!
As someone who dislikes Zelda games, no, it wasn't that good at all.

As a factual side note, no, it's no longer the best game. I read in GamePro today that Super Mario Galaxy is the best overall rated game of all time, beating Ocarina of Time for the title.

Marcius

THEY HACKED...INTO...MY FUCKIN' CAR!
Absolutely not, Marcius. I am incapable of reviewing games for others not only because I'm lazy and busy, but also because I have a hard time breaking down each category indepedently and plus, my tastes are much different from most of everyone elses'. I either like it, kinda like it, or don't.

Well your critique would just lend insight on your personal opinions, which is ultimately what I was interested. I'm pretty sure I'd be able to understand from where you're coming with elaborations concerning your reasoning. But, lol, if you're lazy and busy, then you really can't help that, eh?

Oh, and I just saw the new Rambo movie...maaan that movie was awesome! I saw it with my mom, lol!

Poetic Sobriquet

Cosmic Philosopher
Nah that award would definitely have to go to Final Fantasy 7.

That was sarcasm, right?

As for the rest of the post, I agree with you. If OoT did anything right, it was have a large world, which even by today's standards it's still not considerably small now either. And the thing is, a great game can hold up through time, you can play it later and still say it's great while comparing it to games of today and tomorrow.

It's easy to say games like Super Mario World and SMB are still wildly fun platforms, great games of their genre, but now OoT is really nothing more than action-adventure that wasn't so much revolutionary, as it was progressive. And it's been left in the dust.

And so I don't like people saying just because a game was great at it's time, or was "revolutionary", should really be a reason to put it on a top games list, or at the very top for that matter. Games should be held accountable for how they age. It's not how they play when they come out, it's how they hold up. And OoT doesn't hold up.

P.S. If you were serious about the FF7, what was so great about it? The gameplay formula for the FF7 stayed more or less the same besides some minor changes to character level progression until FF XI/XII. And FF7 really did nothing new, besides throw in some (now very ugly) 3D environments and battles, and mostly uninteresting characters, and a boring plot. I know the last three are opinion, but seriously, I'd choose OoT over FF7, and that's saying something!

CptnObvious999

Captain of all obvious!
As for the rest of the post, I agree with you. If OoT did anything right, it was have a large world, which even by today's standards it's still not considerably small now either. And the thing is, a great game can hold up through time, you can play it later and still say it's great while comparing it to games of today and tomorrow.

It's easy to say games like Super Mario World and SMB are still wildly fun platforms, great games of their genre, but now OoT is really nothing more than action-adventure that wasn't so much revolutionary, as it was progressive. And it's been left in the dust.

And so I don't like people saying just because a game was great at it's time, or was "revolutionary", should really be a reason to put it on a top games list, or at the very top for that matter. Games should be held accountable for how they age. It's not how they play when they come out, it's how they hold up. And OoT doesn't hold up.
Yeah, still wouldn't mind playing through it again but it would probably be for nostalgia though..

P.S. If you were serious about the FF7, what was so great about it? The gameplay formula for the FF7 stayed more or less the same besides some minor changes to character level progression until FF XI/XII. And FF7 really did nothing new, besides throw in some (now very ugly) 3D environments and battles, and mostly uninteresting characters, and a boring plot. I know the last three are opinion, but seriously, I'd choose OoT over FF7, and that's saying something!
I was saying FF7 was the most overrated, personally it pisses me off (as it seems to with you as well ;) ) when people go around saying how great it was.

Captain Morgan

hates YOU!
I think CptnObvious meant to say that Final Fantasy VII was the most over-rated game ever, but I could be wrong.

Edit: NINJA'D

Oh, and I entirely agree on FFVII being over-rated to hell.

Besides the annoying fans, the game itself was really not that great either. While I enjoyed playing, the "best game ever" should have no noticeable flaws, and FFVII has many.

Poetic Sobriquet

Cosmic Philosopher
I was saying FF7 was the most overrated, personally it pisses me off (as it seems to with you as well ;) ) when people go around saying how great it was.

Ah, my mistake. But yeah I agree, FF7 is the most overrated game and it does piss me off. But things like that tend to.

Marcius

THEY HACKED...INTO...MY FUCKIN' CAR!
That was sarcasm, right?

You know what? That was quite profound!

A game that I still think holds the test of time is Half-Life 2. Wow...that game is just...wow--even by today's standards it's still...wow. Did I mention how WOW it is?!

PKT

Forever /a/lone
The truth is the best game ever depends on who is playing it. I didn't really like SMG or FF7 or a ton of other over-hyped and over-rated games. Good games speak for themselves. There are tons of games from previous gens which were if anything underated and underappreciated. Every Nintendo game seems to get hyped even when it doesn't deserve it...*cough* most of the Mario Party games*cough*...