Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How long can you hold your breath?

Lupinexus

Strange topic, I'm aware, but I've always been curious as to whether anyone else has held their breath to see how long they could go without taking another breath.

I managed to hold my breath for two minutes and 34 seconds last night, but nearly felt sick afterwards. I most definitely could have gone longer, but it takes a remarkable amount of willpower to do so when your entire body seems to be begging for you to take a breath. I suppose I have an advantage in not being asthmatic or anything, though I still would like to challenge myself to hold my breath for at least three and a half minutes without passing out afterwards. It can be useful for diving underwater and negotiating through various underwater caves and arches (there is, in fact, a place here where the only way to get to a secret pool and waterfall from another stream is to either drop in from the air or enter through a natural underwater tunnel where the current can get rough and the thought of somehow getting stuck inside it is frightening).

W

William

I haven't done anything like that in years, but I'm pretty sure I can hold it for at least a minute.

I'll try now to see once the time changes to 6:25.

------------

1 minute 5 seconds. Just couldn't do anymore...My stomach was starting to clench up. Understandable I guess, considering I smoke and have heart problems as it is.

Vampiro V. Empire

ist Krieg
I just did it and got about 40 seconds. Which is a bit more than I usually can do, due to asthma. But I've done enough vocal work to increase my lung-capacity (even if it's not much, but I used to not even be able to get over 20 seconds), even with the "handicap". However, like you, Sly, I've always wanted to hold my breath for minutes at a time. it'll never happen, but it would be a nice ability.

Hyper

soul society
I just got about fourty-one seconds. I might have been able to go longer, though.

Big D

Crippler Crossfaced to death
yeah

Well I can't hold my breath to long. Whenever I go swimming I usually can only hold my breath for around 10-20 seconds. If I took a hit of my inhaler for my asthma I can hold my breath for even possibly longer.

I can hold my breath for: 45 seconds (wtf) I can't believe I was able to hold it that long.

MAMA DIABLA

News Administrator
Around a minute now but used to be able to hold it for around 4 1/2 to 5 minutes when I used to do free diving. I guess all the smoking and broncitis finally got to me.:bowser:

Cletus

Around 50 seconds, I coughed.....

I couldn't of done it much longer anyway, because of my asthma.

Archangel Sabre

Staff member
Hmm, depriving the brain of oxygen like this can't be healthy.

Anyway, 1:03.

I've never been one of willpower.

Shuffler

Señor Member
I just held my breath for 36 seconds. I have the lung capacity of a 2 year old.

SeanFury

I can see the venom in your eyes-
I can't go more than fifteen seconds on land and under water I can possibly breach twenty.

Yeah, I'll drown.

Captain Morgan

hates YOU!
Everyone's held their breath before, but not everyone's counted the seconds. I know I never did...YET! :p

Kadenzza

Sean the Wicked said:
I can't go more than fifteen seconds on land and under water I can possibly breach twenty.

Yeah, I'll drown.
Drowning seems pretty cool, but I'd rather be impaled on the Manasamanamune by awesome Sephiroth-X. That'd be pretty hardcore.

You're so wicked and dark, man.

Liquid Transition

One minute and three seconds, and I have fairly severe asthma. I'm quite pleased with my tolerance and lung capacity, considering the circumstances.

Angelwing

Sine dubio, instantatum
There was a time when I could hold a single note on my Saxophone for one minute and forty some seconds. I also have asthama, which accounts for me not being able to do it for much longer.

I just tried and attained 1:26, but only holding my breath.