Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Final Fantasy XI

Elle Lawliet

Elle Oh Elle
My friend has been trying to convince me to play with him forever, but I hate grindfests.

I hate them so much.

But even worse then that I hate being REQUIRED to play with other people to advance game-wise.

So, it sounded like it wasn't a game for me, but I'm looking for opinions anyway.

The Bill

tf2 is a good game
I used to play for a bit.

Got to level 9 before giving up, because I received a pathetic amount of loot (about 400gil at the most, to be honest) and my Warrior wasn't strong enough to kill things his level by himself. My server wasn't very populated, meaning finding long-lasting english-speaking groups wasn't easy, either.

Will said I did it wrong though.

On the other hand, Tetra Master was fun.

Even if I wanted to try again I couldn't because it doesn't work on Vista. :(

Elle Lawliet

Elle Oh Elle
Yeah, that's another problem I had. I bought the two dollar thirty day trial and I couldn't play it since it doesn't work on Vista.

I might just steal his account one day and play on my Xbox to see how it is >_>

I just don't have the patience for long-ass leveling systems.

Zandragna

Chaos Lord
If you don't have patience, this game is not for you. This REQUIRES patience, and money is hard as hell to come by. and you will defenitely need good languistic skills. y'know, to form parties w/ people w/o pissing em off. I found this out the hard way. btw, you can easily kill enemies yourself until lvl 9-12. after that you MUST form parties w/ other ppl for experience. this excludes the job beasthunter. or w/e its called >>

Elle Lawliet

Elle Oh Elle
That sucks.

I don't mind leveling up in a new game, but my friend did warn me that everything after a point was based on parties. -_-

Zandragna

Chaos Lord
yeah but its a bit more fun if you have a friend to play with. Oh and, if you do choose to play it, get ready for a lot of headaches. If you keep on dying its gonna get so damn annoying youll probly kick your system. I could play this game alot before because I had my mother and alot of friends to play with. now I don't even have a comp w/ internet access.

Elle Lawliet

Elle Oh Elle
Hey, I still have a level 70 NE Rogue decked out with almost complete epics in WoW now. >_>

Tentei No Mai

Bitch Pudding!
I played FFXI for a short while when my comrade still had it on his computer. I'm thinking about playing it again, even though I didn't enjoy FFXI as much as I enjoyed PSO (I guess that's because I'm mainly a console gamer >_>;. MMORPGs can be scary for me).

Zandragna

Chaos Lord
PSO was awesome... I still play it on GC. If I can get internet on my comp I'm gonna get on a hack server for psobb.. but FFXI was just rediculously fun for me. The plan is to make alot of friends while playing online, and FFXI did a damn good job on giving you oppurtunities to do just that. Aside from the long hours of pumping hoards of gil to buy a few pieces of equipment, and pumping a shit load of exp for one level gain... this game is still awesome, I'd recommend at least trying it out. In fact, when I get mah 360 w/ internet (whenever the hell thats gonna happen) I'm gonna get FFXI w/ all expansions for it. (Plus PSU + AoI) But really Elle, ask your friend if you can play his account to try it out.

William

Staff member
Worst thing about the game is that you HAVE to party from lvls 18-30, unless you want to lvl incredibly slow. (I know someone that has soloed thf to lvl 48+ so far, and it's taken them nearly 2 years to get what they have. But once you hit lvl 30, you don't really have to party, as you'll have access to classes like Beastmaster, which can solo. Or Ranger, which can also solo off of only worms. I think that's right. Or as I'm told, Black Mages can solo off of mob pets.

But aside from that, the gameplay is good and the variety of classes is far better than games like WoW, as you can change classes whenever you want without having to start a new character.

Also, gil isn't that hard to come by. You just have to take advantage of Moon Phases and Days. For example, if you start in Bastok, you can easily go to the top of the Hill where Carnero (NM) is outside of South Gustaberg, farm sheepskin + honey + onions + beehive chips. The sheepskin can be used to lvl Leathercrafting (Relatively low lvl is needed to make Sheep Leather), but yeah - make Sheep Leather, sell it. It's 10k a stack on my server. The rest can be sold as is, and will bring anywhere from 4-8k a stack (at least on my server).

Or you can farm NMs. Traveler's Mantles can be somewhat easy to obtain and sell for 15-20k each. That's just one example. You get the picture.

Zandragna

Chaos Lord
That soloing off of worms with Ranger is correct. I used to do it and it was fun. w/ black mage.. your better off partying all the way through. But money is something you still have to dedicate alot of time to in order to see results. And the thf soloing thing, ya I know it's possible due to that one skill that deals extra damage when you attack from behind. But 2 years... A thf is a nice addition to a party, it would be better to do that instead of soloing. Oh man I miss this game... so many memories of playing w/ old friends... ahh oh well.