Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Deities— Do they really answer your prayers?

Lanza

In this thread, I will use "gods" as a description of deities. And with that being said— Logic dictates not, and I'll tell you why. Gods answer prayers and questions in the form of three answers: Yes, no, wait. An example: Say you ask for more money because you desperately need it. You pray to gods to give you this money in hopes that he will answer your prayer. A week later, you receive the money you need in the form of a raise from your workplace. Did gods answer your prayer? Of course he didn't. Your prayer to gods were answered merely because of a coincidence. With answers like "yes," "no," and "wait," gods are never wrong. It would be impossible for them to be wrong. If you pray to gods for anything, they will always give you a definitive answer no matter what. Why? Because there is only one outcome from those answers. You could receive money right away(yes), never receive money(no) or receive money at an infinite amount of time later(wait), as gods surely wouldn't be specific about answering prayer; that would've exposed them a long time ago. The only conclusion I get from this is that gods do not exist.

Lithium

<font color="hotpink">Writing On The Walls and Fir
In a matter of speaking, you are correct. Though things arn't always so direct in things. Or so simply a matter in things. Who says an answer to a pray really needs to be a direct thing of something they do. Things are not always so absolute as you say. People not only believe in such dieties but they use them as a symbol of hope and strength.
What is a prayer but a release of energy with the desire to get something done or changed? The thought of something higher assiting or at the least watching give people the strength at times to get things done themselves. Sometimes it could just be someones own mind pushing them forward.

Archangel Sabre

Staff member
Lithium said:
What is a prayer but a release of energy with the desire to get something done or changed? The thought of something higher assiting or at the least watching give people the strength at times to get things done themselves. Sometimes it could just be someones own mind pushing them forward.

But the question was specifically referring to deities. If the people in question pray and through this gain inspiration to forward their own action, it doesn't change the fact that an actual deity has no part in this process.

In my opinion: No, deities do not answer prayers. But prayer itself can act, in the minds of the religious, as a source of hope and comfort in times of need.

Lanza

Legend Saber said:
But prayer itself can act, in the minds of the religious, as a source of hope and comfort in times of need.
I agree, but that is its only reason for being.

Reasonable Addition

Wrong Answer
Prayers and hope are natural human occurrences, their ''credibility'' supported by attribution, based on what Lanza said. Since you don't know weather or not you're worthy or not to get what you pray for, it's easy to relate it to everyday things that may happen in the future, say God heard me and therefore prayers become real. I mean pray for some fucking hair gel, you'll get it eventually.

In the end nobody will wish for supreme power or things that are evidently unavailable, for the fact that what ruins us are always the general little things-which people who don't pray or believe in God could easily make the same attributions to if they did.

Specific prayer elements like burning incense or chanting specific words and shit are also physical methods of rendering the prayer more real. And then, when it doesn't work, we attribute ''failure'' or the god's ignorance of our prayer to destiny and such.
It's very human nature, in my opinion.