Wii Appeal

Discussion in 'Neo-Gaming' started by Diabolikal Rapture, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Diabolikal Rapture MPAA's Nightmare

Source: http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5502

Nintendo’s Wii was launched over a month ago and has been selling out at most retailers around the country. While this is typical with most holiday launches, the Wii is still in short supply post-Christmas. Sony’s PS3 on the other hand hasn’t been well received. It’s not that hard to obtain a PS3, at least in Washington State where I live.

A walk through Fry’s showed two unsold PS3 60GBs sitting there locked up without anyone caring. GameStop gets a few in every now and then but are able to keep them in stock for at least a day. There are no lines forming for the PS3 anymore while people will still camp out for a Wii. Nevertheless, enough about the Sony PS3 talk I want to talk about the Nintendo Wii and its appeal to gamers and non-gamers.

I managed to obtain a Nintendo Wii two weeks ago. After the initial parade of “Wii” jokes the overall experience has been positive. While the console is no graphics powerhouse it doesn’t bother me too much as game play is key here. After years of writing reviews, playing with the latest graphics hardware and running game benchmarks, the search for ultimate eye candy has gotten a bit old—especially when the games look good but the game play is terrible.

I managed to pickup three additional Wii remotes and four games including Trauma Center: Second Opinion, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Super-Swing Golf and Call of Duty 3. The experiences with the games have been good. Single player games like Trauma Center: Second Opinion and Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is quite enjoyable with the Wii remote. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is currently my favorite game right now. Although it has Game Cube-esque graphics, the game play and story line has kept me hooked longer than any Xbox 360 game I’ve owned. It’s hard to put the game down.

But single player games on the Wii are really no different from the Xbox 360 and PS3, aside from the fancy new controller. Nevertheless, the Nintendo Wii does a few things better than the Xbox 360 and PS3—offline multiplayer and is easy to get into.

Offline multiplayer is one thing the Xbox 360 and PS3 haven’t gotten down. It would seem Microsoft put too much effort in Xbox Live that it forgot about offline multiplayer. Sure it’s fun to yell obscenities at some 12 year old kid on Xbox Live in Gears of War, but it’s no fun when you have friends over. This is where the Nintendo Wii beats out the other two consoles. While most Xbox 360 games are limited to two player tops, with the exception of a few abysmal four player titles, the Nintendo Wii is a blast with offline multiplayer games.

It’s easy to invite three friends over and get a couple rounds of Wii Tennis or Wii Bowling going. Everyone has fun and gets entertainingly competitive. Super-Swing Golf is also a blast with the Wii remote as well, you actually get to swing the remote and it works according to how you hold it, angle, how hard you swing it, etc… Upcoming titles such as Super Smash Brothers Brawl and the next Mario Party should be a blast.

Nintendo’s Wii is also very easy to get into in addition to the fun offline multiplayer game play. Wii Sports is by far one of the easiest games to play and get into. It’s a game people of all ages can get into. It was also a major hit during Christmas with my family. Adults and kids of all ages were able to play without any problems; I mean it’s a pretty simple concept, swing the Wii remote. This isn’t to say the Xbox 360 and PS3 don’t have family appeal, but unless your family is composed of gamers it’s pretty hard to teach everyone to play Gears of War or Gran Turismo.

In addition to the game play the Nintendo Wii also has two nifty novelty features—a web browser and the Wii Weather Channel Live. While they’re both novelty features they do come in handy at times. The web browser is very well designed for the Wii remote and TV displays. It works great with YouTube for those lazy moments where you don’t want to get off the couch and go to the computer to be entertained by YouTube.

The Wii Weather Channel is entertaining for a few moments, although you can only spin the 3D globe around so many times to look up weather reports for random destinations. It’s a nice novelty feature for those moments where you want to check the weather on the TV and impress non-techy friends and family.

Nintendo got it right this time around with the Wii. It’s a fun console for you can enjoy with family and friends whereas the Xbox 360 and PS3 are more or less consoles you enjoy by yourself or playing online with random people online. The novelty features are entertaining too.
  2. ProtoJMB Gone

I have to say... in this round, Nintendo seems to be clobbering Sony. I just read an article that talked about people trading their PS3's for Wii's. I also read that most people are just haning on to their PS2's instead of getting getting PS3.

Now, here is the thought for the day:

With the Wii, do you think Nintendo will ever be able to reclaim the marketshare set by the NES, or even PS2? Because it has been a trend for each Nintendo system to have less and less market share. The closest they have been to capturing NES market share was the SNES.
  3. Captain Morgan hates YOU!

Will Nintendo ever be #1 again? Who know's, but they seem to be moving in the right direction again.
  4. Namakubi Someday, one day, who knows? Someday I suppose...

If the Wii is even half as good as the DS, I think they will. The DS is AWESOME....
  5. Diabolikal Rapture MPAA's Nightmare

I don't know how nintendo couldn't take the top spot, considering how shitty sony's doing. Lmao.
  6. ProtoJMB Gone

On that note, the DS is outselling all the major consoles. In fact Nintendo has had to boost up their DS production. I wish they would do the same for Wii :(
  7. CptnObvious999 Captain of all obvious!

yeah the 360 is the only real competitor at least for a while if somehow the PS3 makes it back up. The Wii is doing insanely awesome, and after getting one I can see why. I had some friends over last night and from 9pm to 3am they all played WiiSports almost without any breaks and they seemed to be having a great time. I think thats amazing considering it was just the bundled game. If Nintendo can get another one of their major titles (Smash Bros, Mario Galaxy, or Metroid Prime 3) in by Spring I think it would be very likely that they would overtake Microsofts position.
  8. Captain Morgan hates YOU!

Honestly, none of the next generation systems have that many good games yet. But, I still want a Wii ASAP...for backwards compatability, and for when the good games get released.
  9. Namakubi Someday, one day, who knows? Someday I suppose...

Yeah.. I'm having a hard time deciding what to get when I finally get a Wii..
  10. CptnObvious999 Captain of all obvious!

Yeah, it generally takes a while for a few really good ones come out. It took the 360 a while before some really good ones came out. However the Wii started with one which is why there is such a demand for it. Nintendo would be crazy to put out a game right now when there is still lots of buzz for Zelda and people can barely get a hand on consoles as it is.

But since the Wii has been a big success so far I think you can expect some good games late 2007 and if Nintendo gives us a great game in Spring they will be set.
  11. Tektite New Member

I guess eBay doesn't have thoes one thousand dollar PS3's anymore. I think the package of Wii Sports and the new Zelda game are helping the Wii sell. Also the Wii controller is easy to use for almost anyone.

I would of thought that the PS3 would be sold out, but it's really the Wii.
    Nintendo is doing great with their handheld games, but for consoles, I think it might take a few years untill Nintendo is selling the most overall. Right now they are looking good.
  12. Dexter Tea Time

Yeah, Nintendo seems to be doing fairly well. But it was the holidays and it was an innovative invention. There are still many important things Nintendo needs to do. Online play is a huge deal that I hope goes well with the Wii.
  13. Captain Morgan hates YOU!

This coming year will be sink or swim time for Wii. An impressive launch is great and all, but they're gonna need to have a good showing through '07 if they hope to ever be #1
  14. Dexter Tea Time

A very good showing. The 360 is an excellent system with a good list of games already and I'm sure the PS3 will have some great games come out during the year. I look forward to seeing what happens. There are more games I'm looking forward to for the Wii than any other system. Mario Party 8 being the next!