We should make a new Wire Forums with a free board

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by Archangel Sabre, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

Who's with me!?

Burn it all down and restart the whole thing from scratch.
    William likes this.
  2. Venom Well-Known Member

I'd be willing to help if anyone else is interested. I think it would help to not only use a different board entirely, but also to name it something else. Even though our bad rep really only extends to VGC (and who cares about VGC, really) it would feel like more of a fresh start and not a last ditch effort to take WF off of life support.

Not to mention I'm sure Prop would probably be happy to stop spending money to keep this domain, although given our current state it doesn't seem to bother him that much.
  3. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

Sounds cool. What do you think we should call it though?

I was thinking Neo-WireForums, but truthfully, I feel like that would kind of defeat the point.
  4. William Well-Known Member

I'm with you. I just stalk the forums here every so often now as a guest. It's just so incredibly dead that it's usually not even worth logging in for, to be honest.

I think a fresh start would be nice. :/
  5. Venom Well-Known Member

I'm not really good with names, especially for boards with no specific area of discussion. Perhaps if enough people get behind this we can hold a vote for what the name should be, unless someone comes up with one we can all agree on before we get to that point.

IMO, and this is just me, it shouldn't have "Wireforums" anywhere in it. It should essentially be a totally new message board in order to attract a new memberbase, since we can just ask any older members to come over by using the email or AIM or whatever in their profiles from this board.
  6. William Well-Known Member

^ Agreed. If there's going to be a fresh start, it needs to be an entirely fresh start. Besides, I've always hated the name Wireforums. I guess it just depends on if the forums were to general chatting forums or specific to gaming.
  7. Venom Well-Known Member

Seeing as WF used to be specific to gaming and no one really cared, it's probably best to restart it as a general discussion forum.

I mean, we could always base the forum name off of a game or book or whatever just to avoid it sounding generic, since it shouldn't really matter what it's called if we have enough boards to suit all tastes, kinda like what we have right now.
  8. Rainbow Deluxe Duchess of All Things Pretty and Music

All I ask is that I be admin. Not too much, right? :D
  9. PKT Forever /a/lone

Well, I've admined a few forums in my day and I might be able to set up a free one if you guys want. Kat and Mai could still be admins and such or whatever and well the rest will be history. I say we go with a free one for now and maybe make a domain if it catches on enough.
  10. Venom Well-Known Member

I've set up a few Invision boards, but mostly I'm only good for moral support...so if we need any of that, I'll be happy to help. XD

Obviously whoever sets it up should be an admin, and Kat should be too, and as far as super mods go we can all pick someone that we agree on to start, and add regular mods as needed.
  11. Rainbow Deluxe Duchess of All Things Pretty and Music

I mean, I feel like we've tried to make other forums besides WF, but all of them seemed to have failed epicly. For example, there's Grave's forum that died last year after being around for three or so years, and then we can all remember Axiom and all its horribleness (or at least that's just my opinion). I think if we decide to make a new forum, it can't be made into a laughing joke. In fact, most of the people who used to go to those other forums that spawned from this one all just migrated back here.
  12. Venom Well-Known Member

While I mainly support a new forum to keep what's left of our community back together, I think one area of focus should be getting new members. I mean, I guess that goes without saying - a forum needs members - but we'll all have to make an effort to not only keep the members we have and attract old ones back, but to also get some fresh blood (...not for vampiric purposes or anything :p) to expand our member base and our topics of discussion beyond what we've done with this place.

Easier said than done of course, but, again, I'm just here to make us feel good about this thing. :D
  13. William Well-Known Member

Well, to be honest, the other forums thing was more of a branch-off side project type deal. And not everyone went to one or the other. One of the main reasons everyone just ended up migrating back to this site is because it was still here.

To do this properly, everyone has to basically just drop WF entirely and stick to the new forums. And like Venom said, definitely need new members. Here, it's impossible. I was looking through the online list when I did log on and saw more than 2 people looking at this topic, for example:

http://wireforums.com/threads/xcunt-floppy-dick-cunt-fuck-wank-toss-cunt-fails-to-sell-a-bit.3641/

Bad, bad, bad, bad impression. There's just too much wrong with this place that will never get fixed for new people to want to sign up and partake in conversations. Or even older members to come back and converse.

A fresh start entirely is the only way any progress will ever be made.
  14. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

This is what I'm talking about! -drools-

C'mon, that defeats the point. T_T

This, pretty much. If we go, we all go together as one, starting anew in a new land.

Next on the agenda: name suggestions! I agree with Will that Wire should not be a part of it at all. It's just going to be us talking about whatever comes to mind, what kind of name portrays that well?
  15. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

16. William Well-Known Member

Yeah, InvisionFree is extremely easy to use. I personally like http://www.forumotion.com/ better though, just because there's a lot more functionality and the fact that you can change what forum software you are using at any given time [not to mention the ease of changing/finding/creating new skins and the ability to add mods that aren't just "javascript codes"]. It's just as easy to use as InvisionFree as well. Just a suggestion, if you'd like to check it out.

As far as a name goes, I personally prefer one-word names like my old forum Dystopia/Anarchy. I think it'd be kind of cool if we could incorporate something to do with being reborn, a phoenix, rebirth, something like that; even if it's not a one-word name. But I really can't come up with anything. I just don't want a name like "Cool Kids Chat Club Extreme".
  17. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

So, if we are serious about this, there are a couple things we need to take care of.

1. Name
    2. Actually creating the thing
    3. Admin/Staff
    4. Getting all the members here to join up/getting new faces as well

We have 5 posters in this thread, but that's not exactly enough to get a new forum up and running. Who else can we get to post?

And, who is going to create it and run the show?
  18. William Well-Known Member

I'll PM you my thoughts.
  19. Venom Well-Known Member

Phoenix Downtown. lol

I can't think of anything that isn't Phoenix Down or 1-Up related, so I'll leave that to someone else. As for staff, I think the admins should at least include David (since you pitched the idea), Kat (since she's admin here), and whoever creates the forum, if it's anyone other than those two. As for moderators, I think one super mod should be enough to start with, but I don't have any suggestions as to who it should be, seeing as we need to get a larger group together to start the thing in the first place, which would give us more people to choose from.

As for getting people there...that's never been my strong suit, but there are plenty of avenues for advertising. Posting on other forums, posting links on Facebook/Twitter/etc, putting the place in the Google directory (not that it helps that much, but it should be in there anyway) and...I dunno what else. I'm not sure if admins can send mass emails on this site, but if they can, perhaps Kat would be willing to mass email the members to inform them of the new site, and ask them to voice their opinions in this thread. Either that or we'll just have to IM/email the people that we as a group have the contact information for, and ask them to tell others.
  20. Rainbow Deluxe Duchess of All Things Pretty and Music

Hey hey hey. I don't like this secrecy thing. It isn't just you two making a new forum, we're all in this together so if you have ideas, it shouldn't just be between two people but the other three that're posting in the thread.

I'm all for sending a mass email to everyone that's already here, though as I'm looking at the controls, there really isn't an option that says "send to everyone." I'll probably have to manually go through and add each person to the list myself. I want to try sending a test email, but if I do that, then I'm pretty sure everyone who receives that one probably won't want to look at the second one I send either, so I guess this is a one-time shot. >> As for getting new members, I've already told all my friends about WF since the beginning and only like, three of them actually joined, with one of those three actually being active for a short amount of time. My friends aren't exactly the forum-type. I've also tried advertising WF on pretty much anything that I have (tumblr, twitter, my blog, even random forum sites like GaiaOnline and others) to no avail.

As for where it should be hosted, I'm pretty much up for anything. I've used almost all of the free forum sites (InvisionFree, Proboards, Forumotion, Jcink, etc.) and though I prefer say Jcink over ProBoards, I wouldn't be upset if everyone chose ProBoards. I'm extremely versatile.

Edit: Nevermind, I can send a mass email. Just say the word, I guess.
  21. William Well-Known Member

Okay, I just sent it in PM to spare any drama/arguing/etc. but I honestly and firmly believe that in order for this to be a complete fresh start that all staff aside from the person making the board [which I said Travis should], should have to get their spot through staff applications. I don't like the idea of "I'm staff now, it should carry over". This isn't going to be "WF: The Clone". I'm not saying this because I plan on applying... I don't really have the time nor dedication that I had back 7-8 years ago and if you're staff now and keep your position after the applications, then that's fine. But in order for this to be a complete fresh start, it really has to be done as a fresh slate.