Views on ROMs and EMU's

Discussion in 'Neo-Gaming' started by ProtoJMB, Oct 28, 2005.

1. ProtoJMB Gone

Over the years, my views on ROMs and Emulators have changed. At first, I thought that they were totally cool, and that they were ok. Then, when I found that ROMs were illegal, I swung totally to the other side and thought they were the uber evil. Now I am kind of going back the other direction.

I still think downloading ROMs is bad, but when it comes to foriegn games, that is a different matter. I DO have an emulator, but I only use it for playing the Famicom Disk Sytem games. I also have Earthbound Zero, the true US version of Mother. If it were not for ROMs, it would be a LONG while before I got to play Doki-Doki Panic, and I would never be able to play Earthbound Zero unless Nintendo got their act together and released it in the US finally.

Now, I DO plan to get a Famicom Disk System, there is no doubt about that. I always want to get the original hardware.

Also I do play NES games on the computer, but I do it legally by playing them at Console Classix. I still have a firm belief though that when it comes to games that were released in the US, Europe, or where ever you come from, people should get the original game. #1. Downloading ROMs is wrong, #2. There is nothing like the console experience. I would very much like to play The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, but I am going to wait until I have the money to buy it for the SNES. Yes this issue is a gray area, but if you walk just right, you will be fine. :)
  2. William Guest

I don't find anything at all wrong with downloading ROMs of older games, pre-PS1 era. It's not like they're making much money off of the games anyhow, and most of them ARE hard to find especially if you cannot buy things from the internet.

If it's some ROMs of Gameboy Advance games for example, then yes...I do think it's somewhat wrong.
  3. Tatsu Dragoniac

I don't like ROMs a lot, not because they are illegal but because I prefere gaming on the original console (I'm not that keen on gaming on the PC anyway). As long as the games are old (pre PS1 as William has said it) I don't care if people download ROMs. I mean it's not possible to buy those games and the console as new so Nintendo or Sega is no longer making money with them anyway. In fact I would buy a lot of old games immediately when they were available... For newer games it's different since the companies actually lose money when people just play the ROMs. I absolutey understand when this is not tolerated.
  4. neonmole New Member

I like ROMs and Emulators, without them I wouldn't be able to play all the NES games that I do.
  5. Venom Well-Known Member

I used to download ROMs just to play for fun, but I quit doing that...now if I download a ROM, it's to try a game before I buy it. That's pretty much the only reason I'd download them.
  6. SeanFury I can see the venom in your eyes-

I download ROMs AND I download Emulators. However, any disc console systems I won't download.

Heck, I only have one N64 rom, and that's Paper Mario because I can't find a copy ANYWHERE. I wanted to beat it before playing the second one, and the Emulators helped me do that.

Plus, I pretty much have every NES game ever made thanks to ROMs, and though I don't play ALL of them, I do get around a lot.
  7. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

Just for the record: I don't have a single Emulator or ROM on this computer, and have absolutely no intention of ever getting one.
    Now then, as far as how I view the subject: Games from ten years ago are hardly games these billion dollar companies are making money off of, and some of the better games from generations past can often set you back a hundred dollars or more. When it's either pay a hundred dollars for a good game, or download it for free, and in both cases the original developer is making little/no money from the sale, then I say go for it. Same thing with imports, and fan-translated imports, if you can't get the game by any other means, you really have no choice but to download it. Now, downloading brand new PS2 games, on the other hand, is simply wrong, and indeed should be stopped.
    In other words, my thoughts are basically the same as everyone elses.
  8. ubx51 ABBA Fanboy

I used to download ROMs and Emus. Then I got a job and can afford all the damn games I want.
  9. Vampiro V. Empire ist Krieg

Don't use them, but don't care if others do.
  10. Zelphiel Use before Nov 16, 1977

like William said... if it's an old game they're not profiting off of anymore there's nothing wrong with it. the only exception is if it's a game that didn't get released in your region and they aren't planning on giving it to you.

*cough Fire Emblem 6
  11. Namakubi Someday, one day, who knows? Someday I suppose...

I like them a lot, mainly for games you can't get anymore without going through a lot of trouble.