Offical Dubbed Naruto Discussion Area

Discussion in 'Anime and Manga Archive' started by Velvet Nightmare, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Velvet Nightmare New Member

From VGChat

I'm VERY suprised to say that I really didn't mind the dub all that much!

Here is my list of pros and cons:

Pro/Con Listing for Naruto: Episodes 1 + 2

Cons:
    # - Hound Dog's R*O*C*K*S and Akeboshi's Wind have been removed
    # - The mispronounciation of Naruto's name (NARU-TO instead of NAR-U-TO)
    # - Naruto's voice. Terrible, flat out
    # - All blood removed
    # - Genin is pronounced "gen-NEEN" instead of "gen-NIN" for some reason.

Pros:
    # - New intro and ending is pretty entertaining.
    # - Some voices VERY good: Sandamine Hokage (The 3rd), Ino, Konohamaru, Ibisu, ect.
    # - Konohamaru's name pronounced correctly
    # - Soundtrack fully intact, no edits
    # - Name endings are intact ("Iruka-sensei")
    # - All jutsu names are perfect direct translations (Kage Bunshinn No Jutsu became "Shadow Clone Jutsu")
    # - None of ViZ's manga translations are included ("Art of the doppleganger")
    # - Konohamaru calls Naruto "Boss", which is his correct title as given by the sub.
    # - Jounin is pronounced correctly

So, suffice to say, I would rate the series thus far an Eight out of Ten. It would have been perfect except for the fact that Naruto is said wrong, the jutsus don't have the Japanese names, and Naruto's dubed voice.

So remember, Naruto will still be online and available for download every Wednesday night via Dattebayo. The series is currently in the "grey area" of anime, and will continue to be subbed due to the fact that only the first 50 episodes have been licensed.

I'll continue to do pro/con/edit listings for every dubbed episode of the show, so expect them after the show initially airs.

So once again, Naurto will continue to be on every Saturday night at 9:00, and available subbed on Wednesday night at 9:00
    1 people like this.
  2. William Guest

I recorded the first two episodes on Cartoon Network last night, because I have yet to see the series and not only did I hear it was good, but the commercials looked good as well. Hopefully I'll get to watch it sometime today and let you all know what I think of it.
  3. Vampiro V. Empire ist Krieg

Hahaha, I love mispronunciations.

But yeah, this starts next week in Canada, should be interesting to see how it turns out.
  4. ubx51 ABBA Fanboy

I thought the dub was okay. Since I haven't heard the original JP version, I can't compare. However, I thought Naruto's voice was annoying. It's sounds a bit too scratchy for my taste. I have the same complaint about Luffy's voice in One Piece but after a while I got used to that, so the same might be true here.
  5. Shalashaska Ego Dominos Tuus

I dig the sound of japanese voices and English text. Sometimes dubbing can get annoying and it kills the originality of the art.
  6. William Guest

Just watched the first two episodes. So far, so good. I look forwards to watching it each week.
  7. ssfdsd

I hate it, but for now I dont have enough time to make a good reply, I shall return!
  8. well

First off, to establish the knowledge that I have a vast knowledge of Naruto, I would like to let everyone know that I have seen the first 140 expisodes of the anime in japanese on my friend's computer, I have read up to volume 7 of the manga, and have just started volume 8 online, and Naruto is my favorite anime/manga of all time.

I was outraged by what toonami has done to Naruto. I find it fairly BAD to mispronounce a character's name, especially the main character.

Also Naruto's voice...his voicover was so bad, that I cannot even describe how I felt when I heard it. Naruto is a teenager, yet his voice pitch was really similar to Konohamaru (sp?), who is a mere child. Iruka's voice was not much better either, and from the little we heard from Hinata and Sakura they sounded not at all well.

Some people may say that Im just saying this because I am used to the japanese version, this is not the case. I had an open mind when Naruto dubbed came on. Of couse like everyone, I was skeptical and assumed the worst, yet I still kept an open mind. Everyone's assumtions were proved true when the opening scene started with Naruto's voice.

Also, when Iruka thinks to himself there appear to be a blue flash background. I do not recall if that was in the japanese anime or not, but I do not think it was.

ALSO, Naruto is about ninjas, when you think of ninjas you think of fighting, when you think of violence you think of BLOOD. They edited nearly ALL the blood out.

After I was finished with the first episode, I honetly changed the channel, as I was not able to watch the second until teh next day, it was just to horrible. I am going to join toonami.com if it has a forum JUST so I can yell about naruto, or read other people's yelling. Hopefully SOMEHOW toonami changes the voice and pronunciation problems at the least. There is no doubt in my mind that Naruto would've been less edited had it been on Adult Swim, however it would still be edited ><.

Anyone like my speach? :D
  9. William Guest

Oh well, I actually have grown to love this series. It's on my top 3 list. So of course I do watch it every Saturday night.

I just don't see how I'm ever going to get to see all of the episodes. They're up to what?...140+ and still going strong?
  10. ubx51 ABBA Fanboy

So, stupid question time. Is Naruto's name really mispronounced? The dub uses the way I pronounce it (NAH-ROO-TOE) but I hear a lot of people who say that the JPN version is something else.
  11. Vampiro V. Empire ist Krieg

Na-ru-to

No stresses. Though the "r" is a Japanese "r". So you sort of have to slur it with an "l" for it to be proper.

But whatever, it's not like it actualy matters.
  12. How does it NOT matter that they are mispronouncing the name of the main character?

I just went to a convention yesterday and so many people were calling Kakashi, "Cocka-shi"
  13. Vampiro V. Empire ist Krieg

In my opinion it doesn't matter. If someone wants to pronounce it wrong, go ahead. plus, I don't expect someone who speaks english to try and get the Japanese "r" to sound JUST right.
  14. well

It isn't that bad I know, but for people who have addicted themselves to the Jap. series it's horrible to hear your favorite characters altered and lowered to that level.

They cut out Sasuke and Naruto's kiss, yet they left in Kakashi's attack on Naruto where he poked him in the butt.

They changed Haku, one of the most influential characters of the entire plot into a GIRL simply because he looks feminine and wears a pink kimono at one point.

I honestly cannot watch the dubbed version without shaking my head to how far one of the most popular animes of our time has fallen.