Most addictive RPGs

Discussion in 'RPGs' started by William, Sep 26, 2007.

1. William Well-Known Member

So out of all of the RPGs you have which ones do you find to be the most addictive? Games you just can't stop playing and re-playing. Also, you can post why you find these particular games to be so addictive.

At the moment, I have none to list, unfortunately. Been burned out on gaming lately, for a good reason.
  2. Carlo Marx Sunflower Sutra

I found it very hard to stop playing ffX, i can see why so many hate this game, it had probally the best story of all the FFs ive played, it had the best side game, blitzball pwned the hell out of tripple triad if you were able to figure it out. Tha main character was no squal or cloud, but at least he wasnt a sora. Plus most of the supporting characters were great, especaily lulu, auron, and kimarhi.
  3. Captain Morgan hates YOU!

Chrono Trigger was very addictive, with all the different endings. Also, Shadow Hearts is very addictive due to the excellent battlesystem and many other things. Lots of others I could mention also...
  4. Nazo Moderator

I've been playing FFX for over 700 hours, I'm getting everything and completing the sphere grid with all characters.

Also I have put in over 1000 hours of pure game play for Star Ocean: Till the End of Time. I'm going to get all 300 battle trophies and beat all modes. :)
  5. Marcius THEY HACKED...INTO...MY FUCKIN' CAR!

The first three Breath of Fire games. They for some weird reason don't get much recognition. Breath of Fire 3, in particular, was so damn good...hard as fuck, though...
    2 people like this.
  6. Reasonable Addition Wrong Answer

I swear, it feels as if you folks have stolen what I was going to post.

I must admit, I was never a big fan of Final Fantasy X...I much prefer the darker and depressive tones of VII and VIII... (Although VI will always remain a treasure for me.)

But you are correct indeed, Blitzball was VERY fun. I completely LOVED it. When I had first heard of the idea of Blitzball, I was resenting it. A sports game? In a Final Fantasy title?! TIME TO END MY LIFE.

It turned out I could not stop playing it, and pretty much only continued playing the game for that.

Shadow Hearts, for some reason, despite it being short and easy, is indeed very addicting. I am not sure why, but I have been completely enamoured with this game, and still play it to this day, even if I have done everything in it-several times.

And Chrono Trigger, I must agree as well...even if it was not for the many endings, it is simply a blast to play.

Right, at this point, some pirate might want to capture me, tame me and then proceed to perch me upon his shoulder...but once again, I agree. I did not really enjoy the first Breath of Fire, because I have NEVER played anything so LINEAR. i mean...obviously it is...but I mean the progression of the game and your characters's levels and difficulty...not the options or anything. (And both endings were disapointing.)

But II and III are fantastic-especially the second one. I love it, and have no problem going through it-again and again.

Role playing games, the traditional ones anyway, are very hard to get addicted to, because many feel like a chore, or do not offer any incentive to play over again.

Perhaps difficult games seem more addicted, as we feel compelled to surmount the challenge? I would elaborate, but I thought I would conclude...

Although not an actual role playing game, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, for me IS the most addictive game ever. This is the one I have played the most in my life, and it is still a joy to redo everything in it. Collecting everything is so much fun, even though I have done it so many times.
    1 people like this.
  7. Captain Morgan hates YOU!

Well stated Eonis!

Although, i'll disagree on one thing. How exactly was Final Fantasy VIII dark and depressive?

FFVII i'll let slide, since it seemed pretty steampunk. But Final Fantasy VIII I would hardly call dark. The game was depressive for me, but just because I despised it( and the sappy love story certainly didn't help.

For me, I feel FF died on SNES...although I felt VII was fairly enjoyable.

Chrono Trigger's biggest addiction factors were the multiple endings,Game + mode, and fairly short play time. Been meaning to replay it again in the near future.

And I entirely agree about Shadow Hearts. Sometimes I almost feel that the first game was the best, because it had the darkest atmosphere.

Breath Of Fire I-III were all very excellent games, although I don't know if any of them were "addictive"

I beat them all once or twice, but that's about it. BoFIII was probably the longest of the 3 games, and had some fairly irritating parts that keep me from wanting to replay it.

As for Castlevania: SoTN, it is usually considered an Action/Rpg. But I entirely agree about it being very addictive. Everything about that game was perfection IMHO. The music, the gameplay, the graphics, the atmosphere. The only thing I would have changed is to make it even longer, and/or give it a direct sequel.
    1 people like this.
  8. MS Sagas A New Dawn. xD I stayed home from school just to play it all day long.
  9. Captain Morgan hates YOU!

Yeah... MS Sagas was one of those games which sort of snuck on shelves, and I haven't heard too many opinions on it. Still want it myself btw.

Also, another game that's very addictive is FFV. With so many job classes, it's a joy to replay and try different things.
  10. Yeah. Cause not many people have actually played it. Its quite hard in the beginning and through out the game cause the enemies are way overpowered for the most part until you upgrade. Though I still haven't beaten the secret dungeon or one of the secret bosses either xD
  11. Venom Well-Known Member

For me it would probably be Paper Mario. It's the only RPG I've replayed 6 times.
  12. Reasonable Addition Wrong Answer

Allow me to elaborate then-well no, it wasn't that dark and depressive-Final Fantasy VII had this industrial setting complete with a megalomaniac corporation, a main character with a personality disorder, a main villain whom, in the end was nothing but a pawn for a non-sentient Cthulhu like life force traveling the universe and a disgruntled old pilot with shattered dreams. The theories on the plots are endless, but I couldn't quite shake off the despond in the game, and when I believe that I've comprehended the entire plot, this despond was emphasised by the futility of anything you did in the game, plot-wise.

So, Final Fantasy VIII, despite having a depressed and moody protagonist, is actually pretty flashy, bright and happy.

The plot was more ''homey'', and so we had a choice, a chance to CHANGE things. And therein lies the problem-with such optimistic options, we have Squall, this angsty character whom I guess was meant to be portrayed as strong and silent, but to me he just seemed like a self pitying weakling. So why did I have to go through the entire game with this sort of attitude?
    I know he has problems and all, but come on...

Although other then that, the world map seemed so...barren, dead and lonely, and didn't capture the mood of the game, hence my initial impression of it being ''dark and depressive''.
    I guess I have used comparison to explain myself, so maybe it doesn't count. :D
    Hmm...maybe it's just me, but I really love the second one, and that entire ''God Farmer'' syndrome the plot has. Not as elaborated as in the third installment, but very fine indeed.

*Points and nods.*

Why was it not longer?! In my opinion, this game is the epitome of perfection. :)
  13. Captain Morgan hates YOU!

Oh yeah, I entirely agree about Breath Of Fire II's plot!

Very much so under-rated if you ask me. Unfortunately, the english translation by Capcom left much to be desired. Was the game retranslated for the GBA version? I forget.
  14. Carlo Marx Sunflower Sutra

I also found ff8, legend of dragoon, and fable all very addicting.
  15. The Liztress Poison Pink

For me, addicting games, er... RPG's are as follows:

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
    Final Fantasy XII
    Animal Crossing (dern it, I say it's an RPG of sorts!)
    Valkyrie Profile 2
  16. Lanza Well-Known Member

: Silmeria.
    Yup! Liz picked a great one! ... the only one I could think of.
  17. The Liztress Poison Pink

I like it a lot. My only gripe so far... is not being patient enough to get the materials needed for the weapons and all.
  18. Darth Arkas RC-1138

LoZ: Ocarina of Time. I got it for Project64, and was almost late to class because of it. I never had the chance to beat it before, and if I want to now, I can do so w/ cheats, if I feel like it.

Other than that, City of Heroes. Addicting? Hell yes. I mean, it does get a lil redundant over time, but it's fun. I love getting a full team together, amping up the mission difficulty, and storming into a frenzy of killing that makes my laptop lag the fuck out. It's wonderful.
  19. john for president prince of something

The FFs frequently have plots so stupid that I find it a wonder that people actually enjoy them. (With FFVIII probably having the worst plot twist ever fucking CONCEIVED. FFX isn't much better, either)

The only game I remember being addicting (recently, anyway. I've played too many RPGs to keep a good track) is probably Persona 3. That, right there, is Atlus at their finest.

Also, Liz, you thought Nocturne was addicting? Are you saying that you could actually play that game without tearing your hair out, yelling at it, and smashing controllers? If so, you totally have to teach me your ways.
  20. Nazo Moderator

One question: How is Final Fantasy X's plot/storyline twisted...? It made perfect sense if you you paying attention...