Mario had an anime movie!

Discussion in 'Anime and Manga Archive' started by ProtoJMB, Jun 29, 2005.

1. ProtoJMB Gone

On July 20, 1986,there was a 60-minute OAV Mario anime movie released in Japanese theaters titled "Super Mario Bros.: Peach-hime Kyushutsu Dai Sakusen", which translates "Super Mario Bros.: The Great Mission to Rescue Princess Peach."

It isn't like your normal Mario story, in this one, Mario is playing a videogame, is sucked in, and has to rescue Princes Peach. The animation studio is Grouper Productions.

Check out this link for more info and pics:

http://smbis.nescentral.com/commentary/marioanime.htm

I think it kinda looks weird, Luigi looks discolored, and the mushroom people are different.
  2. SeanFury I can see the venom in your eyes-

Hey! It's Merlin! =D
  3. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

Heh, well, that movie looks like it'd be... weird. I guess if you're a hardcore anime and/or Mario fan it'd it nice to have, but I guess you'd need to speak Japanese 'cause I doubt for some odd reason that there's an English version.
  4. boomstick ....Naked

I remember hearing about that once, but I thought it was a joke, huh, well I wonder if it's any good?
  5. Delphinus AMG New Member

Naked mushroom people? A prince for Princess Peach? Ugly Mario and Luigi? Are you telling me this was actually done by Nintendo?
  6. Zerostar Rawr n' Stuff

I just hope it was better than the live-action movie. Hard to believe it could be worse. >>;;;;
  7. Wasn't there a Mario cartoon at one time. I have a memory of seeing a preview for it. Maybe it was just a dream.lol There was also a live action Mario Brothers movie. I watched it not too long ago.
  8. Vampiro V. Empire ist Krieg

The Super Mario Bros. Super Show
  9. I knew there was one ,cool. There was one time ar the beginning of this year and saw something Mario then I had a flashback of that commercial. I knew my mind wasn't playing tricks on me. Thanks for letting me know.
  10. Ted Owls don't lie.

This could be useful.

I remember the Mario cartoon. They need to make a DVD release of it. People would buy it.
  11. ProtoJMB Gone

This could be even more usefull ;)

Anyhow yes they have it on DVD, SMB SS I mean.

Yup, in Japan anyhow. If you think that is ugly, check out Bowser:

[IMG]

Heh, anyhow I looked and the site does say it is on VHS, so it is possible to nab a copy from somewhere. Yes it would work on an American VCR because the Japanese use the same system we do, NTSC.
  12. 1989? I was only two years old.lol I guess I have a really good memory or something.lol
  13. Shalashaska Ego Dominos Tuus

I think there was another Super Mario Brothers Cartoon after that one. It had a really catchy theme song. I do remember that other one though. *makes disgusted face*
  14. SeanFury I can see the venom in your eyes-

I remember a Super Mario cartoon when I was little, I only saw two episodes because it was on early in the morning.

I vaguely remember Yoshi, Mario, Peach, Toad, and possibly Luigi in a garden talking about something.
  15. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

I also vaguely remember some kind of Mario cartoon when I was really small, but I couldn't tell you anything about it for the life of me. I have seen a few videos and DVD's of some type of Super Mario Cartoon, though, weather or not it was the same cartoon I remember, I don't have a clue.
  16. ProtoJMB Gone

Ok guys, I have been able to find out some more interesting stuff. It turns out that back in 1989, there was a three part OVA series made.

http://smbis.nescentral.com/commentary/marioanime2.htm

This one looks a lot better, it looks more like what we are used to. The stories though are pretty much fairy tails and not anything having to do with the games per se. The whole thing looks to be based off of SMB3. It is pretty funny, because in the first video, Mario packs a real gun. LOL
  17. Arczu Swordsman Supreme

Mario + Gun = ?!?!?

I thought the third one was stange. I NEVER want to see Bowser dress up like that again! God forbid... But what a find eh?

18. ProtoJMB Gone

Ha ha... yeah makes you really wonder about Bowser huh?

Anyhow it would be nice if Nintendo or somebody would translate these so us English speaking people could have a piece of the action. OR Nintendo could just make a new Mario anime.
  19. Vampiro V. Empire ist Krieg

[IMG]

The possibilities are endless.

Look for a sub.