It begins

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Legend Saber, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

Robot Trash Collectors Are Roaming the Streets of Italy (w/ Video)
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swrwe4NYG4o]YouTube - Futuris - Robots designed to roam city streets[/ame]

It starts innocently enough. Cute robots traveling around Italy picking up garbage, helping to keep the city clean. But this is a SkyNet waiting to happen. Within ten years the world will be theirs!

Seriously though, this is a wicked cool story. I can't help but wonder what it means for the future of autonomous robotics. I imagine it won't be long before machines like this become commonplace, performing all sorts of routine tasks. And from there, I don't think it will be particularly long -- perhaps, 50 years -- before we get machines that look, sound and act nearly exactly the same as humans.

In any case, what do you think? Do you think this is just a prototype that's going to remain isolated to the streets of Italy, or do you think this is the beginning of a paradigm shift to a more automatic world?
  2. PKT Forever /a/lone

In the future there will be robots. It's not too bad considering at this point in time they are still not sentient and they need us. It's pretty cool though.