Game Boy Micro

Discussion in 'Neo-Gaming' started by Tektite, May 19, 2005.

1. Tektite New Member

A new and different "GBA" Game Boy system.

Source: http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?articleid=39687422-43a1-4dcd-829c-a6ac885143e9

Attached Files:

• GBM.jpg
      GBM.jpg
      File size:
      19.4 KB
      Views:
    • GBM2.jpg
      GBM2.jpg
      File size:
      19.8 KB
      Views:
  2. ubx51 ABBA Fanboy

Shocking. Another version of the GameBoy. Interesting, at the very least. I'll pass until it's really cheap.
  3. SeanFury I can see the venom in your eyes-

I really don't know about this one...I mean, the SP was rather uncomfortable, and now they're making it (and the screen) even smaller? Come on...the GBA was perfect. It's shape allowed for easy accesibility to all the buttons and comfortable for holding, the SP was way too small, but it's compactness was an intriguing feature. What's the point of making it even smaller? Seriously, I know handhelds should be small, but when you have to squint to see things on the screen...and isn't Nintendo getting a little scared with the competition now? How many Nintendo systems have came out in the past couple years? Three, four? And the Xbox and PS2 are still crushing it to bits, in all areas. *sigh*
  4. Diabolikal Rapture MPAA's Nightmare

Holy shit, that's small.....!!
  5. Vampiro V. Empire ist Krieg

"It" being wider and more confortable for big hands. The screen is indeed smaller, but also higher resolution, so it really doesn't matter. You'd think text would be impossible to read, yet it's actually easier.
    Like I said, it should be even easier to see what's happening on the screen, and it's smaller because it's a portable. Like Reggie said, it's impossible to carry around the GBA or SP anymore because kids wear incredibly tight pants. This thing being a few cenitmeters bigger than an iPod mini will have no problem going anywhere.

Of course not. Their a game publisher first and foremost, and that's something no one can compete with. Plus, they still have gobs and gobs of money that pretty much will never run out as long as they continue to make Zelda, Mario, and Metroid games.

Couple? One. The DS, which is actually doing better than the PSP. At this point anyways.
  6. Phantom New Member

How many... just the DS? Seriously, what the hell are you talking about. Better yet, do you even know what you're talking about?

The GBA to GBA SP transition was basically remaking the same system with new features. It wasn't a brand new system, just a new way to play the system. Clamshell design so the screen won't get scratched, frontlit so you can see clearer, and rechargable batteries so you can basically stop wasting money on batteries. In the long run, it was a bargain.

This isn't really at all a new system. Again, it's the same ol' GBA with a new look, size, etc.

And considering that 2004 and currently now Nintendo is owning competition, mainly on it's handhelds, it's hard to say whether they "are" getting scared. If anything, this is a smart move. When the SP came out, GBA sales skyrocketed. I expect the same with this new model. People that don't have an SP will get one and a lot of people who currently own a GBA or SP may get this as well seeing as it can't be too expensive.
  7. Gremlin Don't Feed After Midnight

It's small, yes. the graphics are awesome (i saw them today on G4) but the screen is REALLY tiny and awkward from what i could tell. and it looks sorta arthritic to hold. I dunno, i might try before i buy, see if it's worth it
    1 people like this.
  8. Tektite New Member

Yeah, you are probably right. Nintendo did not say that this will play any "new" Game Boy games or that it is a new Game Boy system. It is like another version of the Game Boy Advanced/SP.
  9. Venom Well-Known Member

Nothing can ever replace my Classic NES Edition GBA SP. :D

I was interested in this up until it said it would play the same games as GBA. After that, I really didn't care. Higher resolution and an adjustable backlight don't really justify another $100 or so purchase. I'm staying out of this one unless my SP unexpectedly dies.
  10. boomstick ....Naked

Meh, I don't really see the point in it, there's already two versions of the GBA and, as far as I know, Micro doesn't play anything but GBA games, whereas the GBA and GBA SP are backwards compatiable to all other pervious GB games.
  11. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

This is needless, if you ask me. Seriously, we already have one incarnation of the GBA, isn't that enough? My God, the only problems with the original GBA was that it didn't have a backlight and the sholder buttons gave you cramps after too long, both of these already minor problems were fixed with the SP, so why the hell do we need another one? To make the GBA smaller and more compact? Jesus, I don't have a single pair of pants that can't fit the GBA into it, and this new smaller screen seems as if it's going to make playing games near to impossible.
    If this is all Nintendo can do with the GBA, I'm not impressed.
  12. Phantom New Member

So did you like, read what me and Vampiro said about the screen, you know, about it being smaller, cause I don't think you did.

It's needless, yes, but people are still going to buy it and it'll boost up GBA sales a couple more million. I doubt it'll be pricey at all, so Venom, don't know where you got $100 from.

Also, the GBMicro isn't targeted for people that already have an SP, it's targeted to those that don't own a GBA, period, or have the original GBA and didn't get around to purchasing the SP, and of course, the hardcore gamer.
  13. Vampiro V. Empire ist Krieg

yup, plus, I don't see what thw big deal is all of a sudden. Look at the original GameBoy... look how many versions that had. Yet, people didn't seem to really care back then. Now all of a sudden, after two new versions they say it's too much. This isn't some new ploy by Nintendo, they've always done this...
  14. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

The 14.1" computer monitor in my room (that I play games on) has about twice the resolution of the 29" TV that's in the basement, but playing in the basement is still much easier. What he said makes no sense at all, really, so I just disregarded it. If he can prove that it's easier to play on my 14.1" monitor, I'll take it into account, until then, I'd rather just say it's untrue.
    When Sony released the PStwo, it sold for the exact same amount as the original, even though it was much cheaper to make and manufacture. Nintendo will likely keep the price at $100, if only to make some extra money from it all.
  15. Vampiro V. Empire ist Krieg

I'm only telling you what I've heard from people who've played it...
  16. Phantom New Member

That's Sony though. Hell, the PS2 and PStwo shoudn't even be $150. I mean, the GC is more powerfull than the PS2 and sells for $100 and the Xbox has the built in modem, DVD player, and is far more powerfull than the PS2 and sells for the same price. Plus, the PS2 doesn't have a screen.

The reason I say it won't most likely be $100 is because the screen size. Usually on handhelds, the smaller the screen, the cheaper the system. So I don't expect this to be more than $80 although you are right, Nintendo could look at it in the "making money" perspective and charge more than it really should. I mean, the SP has everything this has and a slightly larger screen, so from my view, the SP should be more expensive, and the SP is also quite small, when folded of course.

Yeah, but you see, that's a big margin gtom 14.1 to 29''. A better comparison would be a 27'' monitor with twice the resolution to your 29''. Not only will the size difference not bother you, but the colors would be a hell of a lot better giving you a better gaming experience.
  17. Phantom New Member

Gameboy Micro

Although the other topic was locked for some odd reason, this is where it goes. Although it's a system that hasn't released yet, it's still a handheld.

Anyways, Nintendo showed off the GBA Micro at E3. It's a redesign of the GBA (yes, a second one) and Gameboy has never been sexier. The size is great for those who like small gadgets and the look is sexy.

[IMG]

As you can see, the redesign seems to take the GBA's format. Rather than the "cramped" feeling from the SP, this is spread out feeling comfortable. Also, due to it's size and light weight, it shouldn't be a burder whatsoever.

The screen is .5'' smaller, which is nothing really. The DS screen is .5'' inches larger than the SP screen and the difference isn't much, and neither should it be for this console. With the smaller screen comes better things though. The lighting, rather than sidelit like the SP is backlit, showing off richer colors. You can also adjust the light to suit you in any situation possible. So if you're outdoors, just adjust, and play.

The negative about this console is that you can't play Gameboy games on it. So if you will indeed go micro, make sure you have a GBA SP or original, or just a gameboy color. Due to the micro's smaller sized screen, it displays original games awkwardly.

I for one am looking forward to this remodel. I think it's a smart move on Nintendo's part. It will only boost up GBA sales further more and attract the image concious gamer. Also, the addition of removing and adding face plates can basically make you different than others. So rather than having to choose from colors, just buy a faceplate and change it whenever you want.

[IMG]
  18. William Guest

Ah, well the other one was locked because there was already a Game Boy Micro topic in the Handheld board...

Where it went, I have no clue.

But yeah, I'm not too fond of the Game Boy Micro. I like the portability as well as the ability to change faceplates, but it's just way too small for me.
  19. Phantom New Member

:(

Hah, I've heard that alot. It is small, I agree, but it's not too small... I had a picture, showed a side to side comparison to the GBMicro to the original GBA. It was small in comparison standing next to the original, but man did it look playable. It looked more comfortable than the SP.

One thing I will miss about the SP once I get the micro is the ability to play GB games and the flip top design. Thanks to it, I didn't get any scratches on the screen. Luckily, the faceplates is the "screen" as well, so if it gets scratches, removing it should be a problem.
  20. William Guest

Do you still have that comparison picture? I'd like to see it if so. I can't really tell how much smaller it is just by looking at it.

And basically it'll play all previous Gameboy games OTHER than the original Gameboy right?