Favorite PlayStation One games?

Discussion in 'Neo-Gaming' started by Tektite, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Tektite New Member

What are your favorite games for the first PlayStation console?

Here are some of my favorites:

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    Castlevania Chronicles
    Crash Bandacoot
    Tekken 3
  2. SeanFury I can see the venom in your eyes-

Chrono Cross
    Final Fantasy Origins/Tactics/VII/VIII/IX
    Vagrant Story
    Vandal Hearts

More to come.
  3. Namakubi Someday, one day, who knows? Someday I suppose...

Syphon Filter series
    Megaman Legends series
  4. Kurama Why you gotta player hate on IG-88?

EINHANDER!!

Oh, and Megaman Legends, Castlevania: Symphony of The Night (What is a man?), Driver, Final Fantasy, etc.
  5. The Bill tf2 is a good game

Crash Bandicoot Series
    Metal Gear Solid
    Final Fantasy VI
    Poy Poy series
  6. Venom Well-Known Member

This shouldn't be too hard...

Silent Hill
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
    Mortal Kombat Trilogy
    Twisted Metal 2
    Tekken 3
  7. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

Final Fantasy VII; Wonderful story and the first RPG I ever played, it captivated me like no game before or since. A great experience overall.

Final Fantasy Tactics; it's story pulled me in initially and the battle system kept me there for the long run. It entertained me greatly throughout.

I only own about 12 Playstation 1 games as is, and those are the two that really stand out for me.
  8. Captain Morgan hates YOU!

For me, i'd have to say...

Castlevania:SOTN
    Suikoden1&2
    Dragon Warrior 7
    Persona 1&2
    Breath Of Fire 3
    Xenogears
    Mega Man X4

and probably a couple more...
  9. Final Fantasy Tactics
    Nectaris: Military Madness
  10. Diabolikal Rapture MPAA's Nightmare

Tack on Final Fantasy Tactics to that one. Thanks for the reminder Legend. Lol.
  11. Tentei No Mai Bitch Pudding!

An incomplete list of my PSOne favorites: Soul Hackers, Persona, Persona 2 (both Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment), Tekken 3, Rival Schools, All of the Final Fantasy PSOne titles (save for FFIX), Threads of Fate, Valkryie Profile, Star Ocean 2, Thousand Arms, Suikoden 2, Silhouette Mirage, and Front Mission 3
  12. Rocketbilly_Redcadillac Painting Nintendo emblems one baby at a time!

I would certainly have to say Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is one of them. I still listen to the music regularly and have beaten the game at least twenty times. The gameplay was cut and dry and felt like a truly non-turn-based RPG; it simply flowed. Its presentation wasn't ahead of its time, but it was ahead of any other 2D experience I ever endulged in on the PS1...which is a pity. The PS1 had a lot of 2D potential that it did not use.

Chrono Cross would have to be another one. I can safely say that this game had the best 3D graphics I've seen on PS1. The gameplay added many welcome twists to the traditional (and rather overused) turn-based RPG with the field effect, element, and stamina systems. Not only was the core system of battle original and well-desinged, but the characters were (almost) all well-integrated into it (not to mention there were over 30 of them) The story beaconed DIRECTLY to that of Chrono Trigger...but my only complaint in that regard rests in how the plot was sometimes delivered in sloppy chunks rather than smoothly over the progression of the game. With a fairly rare occurance of dull gameplay, multiple endings, and compelling asthetics, this game is easily a must have for any RPG fan (or especially if you've played Chrono Trigger) for the PS1.

It is rare to have a game pull me in and keep me there, make me lament for having to leave, and jonsing to come back as Final Fantasy Tactics did. For months this game kept me busy. At first, the game seemed entirely boring. The first few battles displayed little potential for the game in both story, story delivery, and gameplay. However, since I did buy the game, I resolved to get as far as I could no matter how dull it was until I couldn't take it any longer. To my fortune I managed to make it to the final battle of Chapter I. This is the first moment where the game truly shines. From then on out almost each battle require a keen since of strategy and an aptitude for pre-battle planning and team management. The story was delievered cleverly with 2D sprites which anyone can tell they put effort into designing as they made some sprites specially for certain moments in the game. The most modern aspect of the OST was the concept of an orchestra; the soundtrack really placed you in the heart of the era. Aside from that, the game took me 70 hours to complete...and I was level 50 during the last battle. I couldn't imagine getting to level 99. If you see this game, buy it. If you don't have the money, steal it. If you think stealing is wrong, download the ISO from somewhere and play it on an emulator. If you think that's wrong, just renounce your faith as a Mormon.

I know this list was composed of particularly typical games, but I can't think of any others that I've actually played that may warrant my consideration for "the best".
  13. Rocketbilly_Redcadillac Painting Nintendo emblems one baby at a time!

Oh, and by the way Chris. It would be doing yourself a favor to play the SNES verison of FFVI (which is FFIII on the SNES). The audio is horrible on the PSX version. How they managed that on a port from a console with a lesser capacity for sound quality to a console that supports CD quality sound is beyond me. Laziness is my guess.
  14. The Bill tf2 is a good game

I'm afraid that I can't play FFIII (American FFVI) because I'm from the UK, and I have a PAL SNES. I don't think there was a European FFVI, so I think I can only play the Japanese VI on my SNES, and I can't speak or read Japanese. :)
  15. Rocketbilly_Redcadillac Painting Nintendo emblems one baby at a time!

Oh, that's a bummer. Well, I would try to find a good emulator such as ZSNES, and there are tons of sites that have the rom for American FFIII/VI. I've played both the SNES and PSX versions in extension, and it's much better on SNES. So, I hope you'll be able to play it somehow or another.
  16. Yasashii Rizu Hmmm, that's odd. Isn't the hero supposed to win?

Well, for me... All of the FF games. Castlevania SOTN, Chrono Cross, Threads of Fate, umm... Inuyasha Feudal Fairytale... And a couple others.
  17. Nights Shadow Custom User Title

Crash Bandicoot Series
    Metal Gear Solid
    Spyro series
    FF VII
    Rayman

bout all i can think of right now might edit this later.
  18. Crossover Unoriginal Gangsta

Final Fantasy V
    Final Fantasy VI
    Final Fantasy VII
    Final Fantasy VIII
    Final Fantasy IX
    Xenogears
    Metal Gear Solid
    Legend of Legaia
    Grandia
    Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete
    Chrono Trigger (I never got to play it on SNES)
    Guilty Gear
    Resident Evil 2
    Resident Evil 3
    Star Ocean: The Second Story
  19. Nectaris: Military Madness - I have Military Madness for the Turbografx-16, that's why I like it so much because it has the original story as an unlockable feature
    Tekken 3 - Wish I hadn't traded it in >_<
    Final Fantasy Tactics - The battle system. I love the grid systems.