Favorite anime movies.

Discussion in 'Anime and Manga Archive' started by Phunky Philosophy, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Carlo Marx Sunflower Sutra

What are your favorite anime movies?

I would have to go with Princess monoke, and Spirited away, in revers order if you wanted to know which one I liked better. I enjoyed the Bleach movie as well, along with the first two DBZ movies, and even the first Pokemon movie was not so bad. Most movies based of a series fails though, they try to hard to add an entire arch and compact it into an hour and a half and it usually stats out great, but utterly fails in the end.

But yeah, your turn!
  2. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

I haven't watched a whole lot of anime films, to be honest.

I certainly recall being fond of Spirited Away, because of the entire whimsical world Miyazaki was able to create with it. I also enjoyed Princess Mononoke, though it's been so long since I last watched that, so I can't remember the details of why.
  3. Poetic Sobriquet Cosmic Philosopher

Favorite anime films? I only have a few, really.

At the top would have to be Nauiscaa of the Valley of the Wind. The first Miyazaki film, made before Studio Ghibli, based on a manga of his own creation. It's an epic, surreal, life-like world. It's full of wonder and a huge breadth of scope, and it an all around beautiful animation, Best anime move I've evern seen, and perhaps one of the best ANIMATED movies I've ever seen.

I also like Grave of the Fireflies for it's touching story and emotional tugs. It's a really good anti-war movie, set during WWII(iirc) based on two kids who mom was killed in a firebomb thing or something. It's good as well.

My Neighbor Totoro is a personal favorite as well. It created a whimsical tale, that had childhood fantasy written all about it in a charming family film, and some of the cutest scenes ever. Plus the totoros looks so cute! And I can't help but dig the catbus. =D

I also like Spirited Away and to an extent Princess Monoke, but not as much as the others.
  4. Carlo Marx Sunflower Sutra

Nausicca was horrible!!! One of the worst Miyazaki films IMHO. But hey, thats your opinion.

Also, Barefoot Gen was a good movie :)
  5. Venom Well-Known Member

Street Fighter II and Street Fighter Alpha, as well as Tekken. Those are the only ones I've seen, really, but they're good anyway.
  6. Panic Don't tase me, bro!

Princess Mononoke.
  7. Poetic Sobriquet Cosmic Philosopher

What was wrong with Naussicaa? It showed had a bunch of subtle undertones and gave views on a lot of broad issues, such as war, life, death, pollution, etc. I really don't see how in ANY way it was horrible. Especially the dubs. Disney did a great job. <3

Although on another note, Disney's dubs WERE awful for Totoro, and I can't watch the movie subbed. The Fox dubbing on the other hand was great. <3
  8. Carlo Marx Sunflower Sutra

I just thought it had the same problem that most anime movies have, the plost always seems to get lame at the end. Its like good good good good, hey, its good so far, lets finish it off with so,mething lame. Spirited Away is probably the only anime I have seen that does not do this, even Mononoke had this problem.
  9. Poetic Sobriquet Cosmic Philosopher

What was lame about the ending? And even if you do find the ending bad...which it isn't, btw, why would that make the whole movie HORRIBLE?
  10. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

Mic, remember who you're talking to here. >_>

And ... I forgot about Grave of the Fireflies. Great movie, add that to my list.
  11. Carlo Marx Sunflower Sutra

Its not that it was bad, its just that it was not great. It seemed rushed.

Endings make huge differences, they can turn a movie from great to fail.
  12. Poetic Sobriquet Cosmic Philosopher

...Did we even watch the same movie? You know Wiki, you have no idea what you're talking about. "Rushed." lol. The movie was well-paced from beginning to end.

And you still haven't answered why that makes the whole movie horrible and makes it Miyazaki's worst.
  13. Rainbow Deluxe Duchess of All Things Pretty and Music

There are a lot of Anime movies I like.

Kiki's Delivery Service
    Laputa: Castle in the Sky
    Howl's Moving Castle
    Spirited Away
    Sailor Moon R: The Promise of the Rose
    Sailor Moon S: Hearts in Ice
    Sailor Moon SS: Black Dream Hole
    Cowboy Bebop: The Movie
    Pokemon: The First Movie
    Pokemon: The Movie 2000
    Pokemon: Jirachi Wish Maker
    Princess Mononoke
    Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
    Tenchi Muyo: Daughter of Darkness
    Tenchi Muyo: Tenchi Forever

There're more, but I can't think of them right now. My muscles ache too much. I'll add to the list later.
  14. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

No they don't. Collateral was an AWESOME movie, in spite of the ending being absolute shit. If the first 110 minutes of a movie are good, I'll be damned before I call that entire movie bad based on the last 10 minutes.
  15. Poetic Sobriquet Cosmic Philosopher

Agreed. An ending doesn't decide the quality of the entire product. Such as a videogame, movie, book, etc. They can certainly leave a good or bad impression, but only as an ending, not for the entire movie.

This reminds me of some famous critic, Ebert or something I forget who, gave Gladiator 2 stars and said the ending didn't make him "feel good" and was bad, and good movies only make you feel good after the end. Hilarious
  16. Carlo Marx Sunflower Sutra

By end, I mean the descent of the climax, if that is bad, the moment that the entire movie is building you up for, how can the movie be good?

Also, Mic, I have not seen Nausicca in a while, but I do remember not liking it because of the ending. I will watch it again if only for the sake of this argument.

Gladiator's ending was win BTW.
  17. Poetic Sobriquet Cosmic Philosopher

Make sure to watch the recent Disney dubbing. There was no problem with the ending for me and it was a great movie
  18. Reasonable Addition Wrong Answer

Not a big fan of anime, but I always loved Ninja Scroll. Ninjas and death, what could be more fulfilling?

Also I am completely in love with Wings of Honneamise. That's just like,...wow.

Also, the four Macross Plus films are great, I enjoy them, as well as the Patlabor films.
  19. Jeffrey Call me for a good time. Dial 1-800-Hotgirl (Not r

No one mentioned Samurai X...what a shame. That is an awesome movie and has some of the best artwork hand drawn that I have ever seen in any anime movie so far.
  20. 56804 New Member

i love the Bleach & the Naruto's movies...also love the Full Metal Alchemist movie oz it's a continuation to the series....:p