do you care about sub-genres?

Discussion in 'Music Room Archive' started by Venom, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Venom Well-Known Member

I noticed in a few threads, there were arguments about a song being a particular genre. My question is, when you label a song, are you careful to label the song in the EXACT genre it falls under, or do you just go for the general area so as not to be wrong?

I usually just label a song in it's general genre (like "rock" or "metal") unless I know for sure what sub-genre it belongs under. For me, it's better to be somewhat right than totally wrong.
  2. Reasonable Addition Wrong Answer

I have a lot of problems differencing sub genres from their major ones. I listen to a lot of metal and industrial, but I can't for the life of me decorticate where they all go.

It IS important to me, because it's knowledge I don't have-but I sure won't pretend I know about it.

Also what bugs me a bit is how some of those sub genres are like almost made up? What is Cradle of Filth, symphonic metal or black metal? The proper categorization itself is complicated enough, I hate having to deal with terms I'm not even sure are real or legitimate.
  3. Venom Well-Known Member

Black metal was pioneered by a band with the same name as me, Venom. It's not death metal, but the tone is darker in general, which is mostly noticeable in the sound and sometimes lyrics. Symphonic metal is, as far as I can tell, when bands use symphony-style sounds in their playing, usually it sounds like having a strings section of an orchestra playing along with the music. At least, that's what I think they are. I'm not too keen on genres, but I have heard those before. Black metal doesn't stand out as much today as it did back when it was first being played, but symphonic metal still stands out.
  4. Rainbow Deluxe Duchess of All Things Pretty and Music

I really don't pay attention to the sub-genres. For instance, I know that Fall Out Boy is in more of a sub-genre than "alternative," but I honestly don't care that much. Yes, I am a huge music freak. But I'd rather listen to the band than focus on which genre it's under. Since I don't really care about what music I listen to, I don't pay attention to the genre. What's the point if I know I like it? Besides, everyone knows the genres pop, rock, r&b, rap, hip-hop, metal, punk, jazz, country, classical, alternative, and indie. I don't think I need to go further than those.
  5. Omni <b><font size=4><font color=171717>Sola Fide

Okay, this is finally a thread where I can share my expertise.

Venom, along with Mötorohead and a few other seminal early NWOBHM groups, pioneered some of the aesthetics that would come to define black metal, but they aren't actually a black metal band. The first bands to come along that would play black metal, the name of which was derived from the Venom album and its title track, were Hellhammer, Bathory and Celtic Frost. This was the first wave of black metal.

In the late 1980's, a bunch of bands in Norway would begin playing music influenced by the music of the first wave bands, beginning the second wave of black metal. The most famous bands from this wave include Immortal, Emperor, Mayhem, Gorgoroth and, of course, Burzum. Emperor would incorporate symphonic elements into their music, creating the subgenre of symphonic black metal. On the latter black metal releases by Burzum, Varg Vikernes began incorporate electronic ambient and other sounds into his music. Due to his unique screaming vocal style and idiosyncratic music, Burzum would become probably the most influential black metal band in history.

After the murders and church burnings associated with early Norwegian black metal, the music became well known in Scandinavian Europe due to the media coverage, aand this inspired many bands to begin playing this style of music.

Among these was Cradle of Filth. Their music heavily influenced by Emperor's music early on. Cradle of Filth would eventually progress from a style influenced by death metal and symphonic black metal to a type of Gothic extreme metal, but they heavily retained a black metal-styled appearance and controversial lyrics.
    1 people like this.
  6. Reasonable Addition Wrong Answer

Bathroy is black metal? :confused: I understand why the word progression is used then.

Interesting how it went though, and I've also heard about Emperor being a significant source of influence for Cradle-but I'd be damn curious to know what it actually sounds like.

Still, there's weirder stuff, like ''symphonic black metal'' giving way to some mixture of industrial and the first (Kovenant) or mixing in death metal elements (However those came to be born.) like Aborym.
    -If I'm wrong correct me.-
    Someone made a joke about ''Devil Metal'' being an actually genre, and while it's not, it might actually see the light lol!
  7. Omni <b><font size=4><font color=171717>Sola Fide

Bathory started as a black metal band, but Quorthon's later music was far removed from the style. He pioneered the Viking metal genre as well.

If you ever want to hear or learn about all sorts of black metal and related music, talk to me on AIM.
  8. Reasonable Addition Wrong Answer

Viking metal? Explain?

And ''related'' music, huh? Might this mean that you know something about the history of Industrial and its execution?

Anyways I added you. :) But mind ye head, as I know nothing about this subject, and will prove to be extremely boring. :)
  9. PKT Forever /a/lone

I like subgenres of music and such...especially techno sub-genres so I think that they are kinda important.
  10. Omni <b><font size=4><font color=171717>Sola Fide

Just watch the video:
    YouTube - Bathory - One Rode To Asa Bay

As you can see, this doesn't sound like black metal at all. Also, Quorthon isn't a great singer, but given the context of his music, his vocal style is more approproate than most other metal singers.

FUN FACT: Quorthon actually paid for this entire video to be shot out of his own pocket. Most music videos are paid for by record labels to promote singles. He hadn't actually seen it by the time he was interviewed on MTV's Headbanger's Ball, back when they had real metal bands on there.

Industrial music and its development aren't related to black metal, but a lot of black metal bands have over time incorporated elements of industrial into their music, some focusing on that sound more than others. The often brutal sound of both types of music means it can work out really good, but many bands have had mixed results.

That's okay. I'll hopefully be able to show you some cool music anyway.
  11. Nazo Moderator

Wow... Cyth's good.
  12. Omni <b><font size=4><font color=171717>Sola Fide

I generally enjoy learning about music and other things I'm into, so I usually have a ton of information about that sort of stuff.