Code Geass Pwns Death Note.

Discussion in 'Anime and Manga Archive' started by Phunky Philosophy, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Carlo Marx Sunflower Sutra

Dont stop, I can keep this going forever!
  2. Elle Lawliet Elle Oh Elle

Code Geass is to G Gundam as Death Note is to Ergo Proxy.

Exactly. Stuff can be similar, but that doesn't mean they are exactly alike. And by further extent, if I agreed that Death Note /=/ Code Geass, that would mean the two shows are almost one-in-the-same and there would be no reason to say Code Geass is better.

I believe Masashi Kishimoto and his GIANT FUCKING SACK OF MONEY would disagree with you.

No, no it couldn't. And you just proved an entire point right there, take out the mechs and it ruins the show.

Thread over.
  3. Carlo Marx Sunflower Sutra

Before I argue more, lets not forget the fact that you have only seen the first three episodes, meaning that you have no idea what the show is like.

I have not seen Ergo Proxy, but I can say that Code Geass is nothing like G Gundam,, and it is very much alike Death Note. Just because it has mechs doesnt effect the dialogue.

I said they are similar, as similar as Gundam Wing is to Gundam mobile suit. One can easily be better.

We all know that if a show makes money, it is great because money has a magical power that makes shitty things awesome.

What? Mechs increase the interest. The show could easily exist, and be almost almost as good without it. The action is not what makes Code Geass so great.
    It is if you are willing to let me have the last word. I nevar stop!!!:headbangi:headbangi:headbangi
  4. Rugter wut

Death Note and Code Geass are awesome, granted, but they don't match either Rurouni Kenshin, Higurashi or Nanoha for me. Still, both plain old own.
  5. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

... can you name a single plot device that could suitably replace the role that mechs play in Code Geass? I honestly don't care how much you say, "they don't play a big role," DO YOU NOT REALIZE THAT THERE ARE BATTLES IN KNIGHTMARE FRAMES EVERY EPISODE OR EVERY OTHER EPISODE? If you were to take them out this series would be about twelve episodes shorter. No lie. And that's playing a big role, no matter how much you want to trivialize it.

I could understand a statement like this if the action in Code Geass played a role completely peripheral to the story, but very often the action is pivotal to its advancement. This is a series about destroying a military empire; virtually every single gain and loss is achieved through battle.

How does Zero overcome the Britannian forces? It sure as hell isn't through diplomacy. How are the Japan Liberation Front forces crushed? Not through talking. Hell, the series opens with two terrorists fleeing from military forces. Do you seriously not understand the role that action has in advancing the plot, or are you just acting dumb?

And this is quite literally the complete opposite of what Death Note was about, where every single gain and loss was achieved through wits. The number of battles during Death Note can readily be counted on one hand, and that was a 37 episode series.
  6. Carlo Marx Sunflower Sutra

I didnt say that the action does not play a roll, I said the action is not what makes it great. And it is not. Code Geass is a fucking amazing anime, and the action is only so so. The dialogue is what makes it great.

He uses the Geass, almost identically to the way that Light uses the Death Note. Just because Action advances plot, and does have a roll, does not make it important. Sure Code Geass is an action anime, but if you watch it for the action, then you are brain dead. It would be like watching Death Note for the action(LOL NOT IN EXISTING).

LOL ONE HAD ACTION SO IT IS DIFFERENT.

Are you too mentally retarded to see teh similarities in teh dialogue, characters, plot, and progression? They both used wit, although one also used action, to overcome foes that were very powerful. If you cant see how they are alime, then you fail at both preception and at the mental thought process. Hell, Code Geass is infamouse for being similar to Death Note, it is why it is so big right now.
  7. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

Self-pwnage ftw.

... uh, yeah? Comparing a series littered with combat to a series that features no battles whatsoever is silly. It makes about as much sense as comparing Code Geass to Chobits.

... how is the dialogue similar?

The only character parallelism I've noticed is between Lelouch and Light, and even that's fairly superficial. Their basic patterns of behavior are kinda alike, but they're fighting for completely different objectives using completely different methods.

I haven't noticed any other parallels between any of the other characters.

The only real similarities are that they both feature young men attempting to change the world through the use of a supernatural power. Everything after that is completely different, including the situations, adversaries, goals, antagonists, setting, and everything in-between. Hell, the entire series takes place in an alternate reality, for Christ's sake.

What does this even mean? It follows Freytag's pyramid like a lot of stories tend to do.

Sure I see how they're alike, but they're both incredibly distinct stories nonetheless; they're similar only in the most trivial of manners.
  8. Carlo Marx Sunflower Sutra

Baaah, fuck you. I re read my post and laughed at my own stupidity!
  9. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

VICTORY IS MINE! MUHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH!

>.>

[spoiler]^^;[/spoiler]
  10. Carlo Marx Sunflower Sutra

Lol, its inevitable because I never give up and actually end up running myself into the ground.